Freestyle Libre & Samsung S9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been using the Libre sensor for a few months now and using my Samsung S9 to scan it.
Initially it was a bit hit or miss as to taking a reading but now I have to reset my 'phone whenever I have to scan.
Has anyone else experienced problems like this and if so is there a remedy?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean by ''reset the phone'?

Could be NFC getting confused. I occasionally have to turn NFC off then on again to get it to read. No often though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do you mean by ''reset the phone'?

Could be NFC getting confused. I occasionally have to turn NFC off then on again to get it to read. No often though.
Tried that. A full reset works once and then I have to go through the rigmarole again most times.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using the Libre sensor for a few months now and using my Samsung S9 to scan it.
Initially it was a bit hit or miss as to taking a reading but now I have to reset my 'phone whenever I have to scan.
Did you ever get a solution to this? I have an S9+ and to be honest it is driving me up the wall! I noticed that it happened when the battery power dropped to around 70% and, like you, I had to restart the mobile to get it to scan. It has got progressively worse though. Now it has to be at least >85% and sometimes it even has to be plugged into the charger to work. I've tried Samsung - useless and I've tried every online suggestion I could find - clear the cache partition, reboot, turn NFC off and on, turn flight mode on and off, delete apps.
It worked fine with previous Samsungs but it seems to have an intense dislike to the S9 models.
There are more people out there having this issue and I suspect it's a software issue with the NFC as it seems to think it is off as the power drops.
In desperation I've written to Abbott but I'm not hopeful.
Short of chucking the S9+ at a wall I'm out of ideas.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you ever get a solution to this? I have an S9+ and to be honest it is driving me up the wall! I noticed that it happened when the battery power dropped to around 70% and, like you, I had to restart the mobile to get it to scan. It has got progressively worse though. Now it has to be at least >85% and sometimes it even has to be plugged into the charger to work. I've tried Samsung - useless and I've tried every online suggestion I could find - clear the cache partition, reboot, turn NFC off and on, turn flight mode on and off, delete apps.
It worked fine with previous Samsungs but it seems to have an intense dislike to the S9 models.
There are more people out there having this issue and I suspect it's a software issue with the NFC as it seems to think it is off as the power drops.
In desperation I've written to Abbott but I'm not hopeful.
Short of chucking the S9+ at a wall I'm out of ideas.
I took my 'phone to the Samsung Shop on Princes Street in Edinburgh and they replaced the NFC coil and it has worked perfectly since then.
There was no cost involved as it was done under warranty.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took my 'phone to the Samsung Shop on Princes Street in Edinburgh and they replaced the NFC coil and it has worked perfectly since then.
There was no cost involved as it was done under warranty.
Hope this helps.
It sure does. The Edinburgh shop is my nearest too so I'll pay it a visit. Phone is only 6 months old so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have perfect use from NFC using an iPhone. Works all the time but I am not using it for the Freestyle Libra yet.

My wife uses NFC all the time too on her iPhone.

Maybe the fault is in the Samsung phone?

Do you guys use Applepay or whatever the Android equivalent is? If so how do you get on with that as it would help to eliminate where the problem lays.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
It sure does. The Edinburgh shop is my nearest too so I'll pay it a visit. Phone is only 6 months old so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks.
The folk in the shop were really helpful, I think one of them is T1 as well so they understood the importance of getting it fixed. Dropped the phone off, went to watch football and picked it up on my way back to Waverley station.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have perfect use from NFC using an iPhone. Works all the time but I am not using it for the Freestyle Libra yet.

You have perfect use of the NFC in your iPhone for what Apple will let you use it for. Lucky they recently deemed the consumers worthy enough to use it beyond Apple Pay in the last year, eh? ;)

Having had NFC in phones since 2013 and used for a variety of things including Freestyle Libre and Google Pay, it is a pretty reliable technology. OP just got unlucky with a duff part in their handset which they have already said has been replaced under warranty. Until the last year, the Libre app was developed by another team and was very strictly locked down on which handsets were supported until Abbott took over development. Though I expect it being a form of medical device, they do a lot of testing to make sure that it works with a variety of different handsets now.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have perfect use of the NFC in your iPhone for what Apple will let you use it for. Lucky they recently deemed the consumers worthy enough to use it beyond Apple Pay in the last year, eh? ;)

Having had NFC in phones since 2013 and used for a variety of things including Freestyle Libre and Google Pay, it is a pretty reliable technology. OP just got unlucky with a duff part in their handset which they have already said has been replaced under warranty. Until the last year, the Libre app was developed by another team and was very strictly locked down on which handsets were supported until Abbott took over development. Though I expect it being a form of medical device, they do a lot of testing to make sure that it works with a variety of different handsets now.
Yes. Just saying it works well. And thought looking at the problem from a slightly different angle might help.
Maybe I have been lucky with my NFC so far.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The folk in the shop were really helpful, I think one of them is T1 as well so they understood the importance of getting it fixed. Dropped the phone off, went to watch football and picked it up on my way back to Waverley station.
My mobile is there currently. It was indeed a faulty NFC coil. Took my tablet in too as grandson dropped it so that's getting a screen replacement. Back to pick them up at 4pm!
You're right they are very helpful. I'll certainly make sure I'm there for 4pm as I don't want to get caught in the evening snarl up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

There are a few variants on the S9 model? (Before moving onto the S9+ Within the range.) Was yours the SM-G960U1 perchance?

Edited to add, is a metal plate a fixed to the back of the device (or under the protective case?) to enable use with a magnetic car phone cradle? I happen to know from experience this can play up the reliability regarding scanning a Libre too. If positioned wrongly over the NFC arial...

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

There are a few variants on the S9 model? (Before moving onto the S9+ Within the range.) Was yours the SM-G960U1 perchance?

Edited to add, is a metal plate a fixed to the back of the device (or under the protective case?) to enable use with a magnetic car phone cradle? I happen to know from experience this can play up the reliability regarding scanning a Libre too. If positioned wrongly over the NFC arial...
I think you'll see from the posts we both had faulty NFC coils. It was certainly one of the things I noticed online. Don't know if Samsung just got a bad batch. Mine was checked today and the engineer said definitely faulty and like the OP is was changed without question. It's working absolutely fine now. Even through my thick padded jacket! I'm a happy bunny again.