Freestyle Libre Sensor / insulin problems

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kimberley2026 Hi, one thing I picked up on was "I feel I am taking bucket loads of insulin". I remember when I moved from Lantus to Levemir I couldn't believe how much more basal insulin I needed. I kept doing basal tests & increasing the Levemir until it suddenly just "worked". I thought I was taking a lot of Lantus (about 60 units) but the total of my split Levemir was nearer 90. The split was odd too 30 in the morning, 60 in the evening, but I was getting the best results I'd ever had.
Basal testing is a pain in the neck but it is vital.

JamesIrvine

Hi,

I am currently on the Libre sensor and my blood sugars are sky high and I am struggling to get a grip with them! I’ve checked my blood glucose alongside this and they seem to be running extremely higher than normal!

I’m currently one Levermir twice daily
8am =20u
8pm = 18u
Novorapid with meals and corrections
Breakfast 1:10 Lunch 1:10 Dinner 1.5:10
Metformin twice daily
Breakfast 8am
Dinner 6:30-8pm

I’ve done the obvious:

- checked for lumps - can’t see any obvious lumps
- changed the lot number of my insulin
- always do airshots when injecting
- rotating injection sites
- carb counts using the packets / and assisted by the carbs and cals app
- don’t overly fee unwell apart from a cracking head but I put that down to the high blood glucose

I have done DAFNE but with the high levels I feel I am taking bucket loads of insulin and when I look at the sensor graphs when I’m injecting it’s like the insulin isn’t even acting as they seem to rise instead of decrease.

Anything I’ve missed or any advice?

TIA

Kimberley
Kimberly, I had the same problem for over a year and like you I could not imagine what I was doing wrong. I said to my doctor its as if the insulin is not going in, he changed my needle to a 5mm instead of 4mm and hey presto. The moral of the story is medically speaking size does matter.

nicky-52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am currently on the Libre sensor and my blood sugars are sky high and I am struggling to get a grip with them! I’ve checked my blood glucose alongside this and they seem to be running extremely higher than normal!

8am =20u
8pm = 18u
Metformin twice daily
Breakfast 8am

I’ve done the obvious:

- don’t overly fee unwell apart from a cracking head but I put that down to the high blood glucose

I have done DAFNE but with the high levels I feel I am taking bucket loads of insulin and when I look at the sensor graphs when I’m injecting it’s like the insulin isn’t even acting as they seem to rise instead of decrease.

TIA

Kimberley
You could have developed insulin resistance. Worth going back to your diabetic clinic for a chat. Are drinking sufficient water? Dehydration can cause elevated blood sugars. All the best

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

8am =20u
8pm = 18u
Metformin twice daily
Breakfast 8am

I’ve done the obvious:

TIA

Kimberley

Not sure why Metformin as well as insulin? In my case Metformin caused Raynaud's Syndrome [Extremly cold hands & feet] after which I stopped Metformin, started insulin & have never looked back. The point is to adjust the number of units of insulin & then no need for Metformin. I have always had high [over 7] fasting levels which I put down to my liver dumping glucose. I use Novorapid to bring this down before breakfast & so limit the peaks after because of starting at a lower level & having breakfast at a time when the Novorapid has started to work. I am not sure how many units of Novorapid you are taking but this should vary depending what & how much you are eating; also depending how much or little exercise over the last two or three days. I tried the Libre sensor & found it inaccurate, in my case tending to under read & on occasion showing below 4 & so a hypo, when by finger pricking I was in fact not. I would suggest changing the number of units in particular of Novorapid to see if a better result can be achieved. I also use Levemir but a few units more or less doesn't seem to make a noticable difference. The focus should be on changing the number of units of Novorapid.

techdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hi, I'm also on Levimer 6 units before bed, Novorapid 6 units before dinner now it works well but not always! Novorapid is new to me as I was on levimer 22units before as well as 4 metformin and Canagliflozin.

I use FreeStyle libre 2 and hear allot of popple say its not accurate but you must remember it's telling you what your glucose was 10 minutes ago, you should still use lancets now again if you don't feel great!

Maybe your not having enough Novo? Discuss this with your Diabetic Team don't leave it going over months.

Reactions: Robbieian

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @techdiabetic. You're replying to a post that is over 2 years old, and the other person hasn't posted on the forum for over a year.