Freestyle libre sensor -

Dylan123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi The hospital have replaced my blood testing machine to the freestyle libre sensor which to be honest i think is pointless as it does not give you an accurate test result. The result is what your level is is about 10/15 minutes old and is therefore not accurate. For all the inconvenience I prefer to know the accurate result of using a conventional blood testing method . In my mind this is a waste of time How does anyone feel about this

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your finger prick testing should NOT be taken away from you - it is a legal requirement to carry finger prick testing when you drive, for example.
Many of us find Libre a fantastic piece of kit but you need to know how to use the data it provides (15 minute old data all the time is incredibly valuable), understand ALL the limitations and use your finger prick when necessary.

Dylan123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your finger prick testing should NOT be taken away from you - it is a legal requirement to carry finger prick testing when you drive, for example.
Many of us find Libre a fantastic piece of kit but you need to know how to use the data it provides (15 minute old data all the time is incredibly valuable), understand ALL the limitations and use your finger prick when necessary.
That is all well and good but carrying the libre scanner,blood testing machine as well and insulin pump eqipment needed means I need a suitcase when i go out so I dont think this is a practical solution .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is all well and good but carrying the libre scanner,blood testing machine as well and insulin pump eqipment needed means I need a suitcase when i go out so I dont think this is a practical solution .
The Libre scanner can be used as a blood testing machine - so you should have no more to carry.
It sounds as if you need some assistance from your diabetes team to show you the Libre. It is a great piece of kit and does not add to the amount of diabetes paraphernalia you need to carry.

I use my phone which also has an app to control my pump so I have very little to carry when I go out. My suitcase would be empty.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If after learning about the Libre, you decide it is still not for you, please tell your diabetes teams so they can redirect their funds to someone else.
There are many people who would love to get the benefit from continuous monitoring and alerting but are not able to get the funding.