Freestyle Libre - what's involved & is it worth it..?

Nuck

I am having difficulty with the website. It froze twice on me and my order got blocked. In the end I used a different email address.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My consultant is diabetic and she told me to leave the sensor on 48 hours before activating. Apparently it improves the accuracy. I have done this with my second sensor and it does make a massive difference.

Reactions: 2 people

Griffter15

My consultant is diabetic and she told me to leave the sensor on 48 hours before activating. Apparently it improves the accuracy. I have done this with my second sensor and it does make a massive difference.
Interesting. Will the sensor still last 14 days after you activate it?

Griffter15

I've just got my libre but haven't started using it as I'm timing it so I can use it on holiday. Has anyone had any issues going through airport security with the sensor in?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just got my libre but haven't started using it as I'm timing it so I can use it on holiday. Has anyone had any issues going through airport security with the sensor in?
Not had any problems going through security at airports with it.

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quick question(s). The sensor is showing a 2mmol difference (lower on Libre) to my blood test from my old Insulinx metre. Called Abbott today and they are sending me a new sensor. Can I keep the old sensor on for the remaining 14 days to see if it improves? Or do I need to send it back ASAP? I'm guessing they can read the data off it? Don't want them thinking I'm fiddling them!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question(s). The sensor is showing a 2mmol difference (lower on Libre) to my blood test from my old Insulinx metre. Called Abbott today and they are sending me a new sensor. Can I keep the old sensor on for the remaining 14 days to see if it improves? Or do I need to send it back ASAP? I'm guessing they can read the data off it? Don't want them thinking I'm fiddling them!
I have always kept them on the full 14 days - I don't think there's any way they can check as it only stores 8 hours of data.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They ave commented to me in the past that they can tell when someone has kept the sensor on. They expect you to return it once the replacement is received.

MatildaS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks a lot, Steve!
We've now learned that we may be able to get insurance coverage for the Libre if we provide the health insurance co. with Matilda's diabetes diaries from the last 3 months, plus a letter from her diabetologist stating that she really needs a Libre.
I wonder if they are looking for erratic BG levels or something else for her to qualify.

In the meantime, my wife, who is also Type 1, is going to test a Libre on herself.
For that she'll have to pay (unlike for her other BG kit, which is heavily subsidised by the insurers).

The reports here are very encouraging.
Thanks for that!

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
looks cool if they could get the costs down it would be great!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I can't see it getting much cheaper.

In comparison, my Dexcom G5 CGM would cost about $6000/year if I didn't have insurance.

The dexcom g4 works out alot cheaper than that, in the UK, but only if you play the system by buying from Europe, and using xDrip instead of the receiver... If you want to save money! I recon mine costs less than £1200 per year.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The dexcom g4 works out alot cheaper than that, in the UK, but only if you play the system by buying from Europe, and using xDrip instead of the receiver... If you want to save money! I recon mine costs less than £1200 per year.
You're absolutely right, but I was making a point that the Libre is very reasonable in price when compared to similar devices.

With insurance (here in the US), my G5 system costs me about $600usd/year.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
You're absolutely right, but I was making a point that the Libre is very reasonable in price when compared to similar devices.

With insurance (here in the US), my G5 system costs me about $600usd/year.
Sorry, understood. I just feel that the Dexcom is getting a rough deal on here, mainly for cost, and people are not seeing the benefits I feel it offers, and I am hoping that the more people that buy into it, the more we will benefit from both the competition of multiple devices and economies of scale driving the prices down for all CGM systems.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
crazy prices!!

at first it looks a bit like that - but if blood testing can be reduced, it is not quite as expensive as it looks - it is just that the NHS in uk funds strips and the Libre is self funded. eg. My nurse told me that one pot of my test strips costs the NHS £20 if this is right this is also a crazy price, in my view, as with 10 tests a day, on a pump, monthly cost to NHS is about £120 , plus any lancets. So if Libre were to work well enough to need only 2 blood test strips a day, and was found to improve control significantly i can see it might eventually be funded by the NHS

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have found since I put the first sensor on on Saturday night that I was going mid 2,s for 4 fors and waking in the high 3,s.
I have adjusted the basal rates for the time period and woke up with much better results this morning, but a little higher than I wanted. I have adjusted them again today so will see what tonight/tomorrow mornings readings are so finding it a very useful bit of kit

Reactions: 4 people