Freestyle Libre with smart watch?

Hi there... I could really use some info/support from anyone with knowledge in regards to setting up the freestyle Libre to work in conjunction with a smart watch.

More specifically - what would I need to buy to get this going, is it even possible and what are the ins/outs about it etc.??

(I don’t own a smart watch *yet* but will defo be looking to get one based on this!)

Bit of background about me - I’ve recently been started on the Freestyle Libre and I’m currently on my 1st sensor! I absolutely love it - but I’ve read somewhere that it’s possible to get the results transmitted continuously to a smart watch?

I’m really interested in this - I’m on Apple and currently use my phone to scan the sensor etc. But love the idea of being able to have an added tool that will bring in another form of control / flexibility to using the Libre sensors!

Any help would be gratefully received!! :)

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Anderson.bryn84 ,

Welcome to the forum..

Though I use a Libre I don't have a smart watch setup.

I'll tag in @porl69 who I believe may do... (But not Apple.)
Also, have a search regarding "Miaomiao?" Which is a Bluetooth add on tranmitter for the Libre, making it more like a "CGM?" Than a flash scanned monitor...
I'll also tag in @Mel dCP who may also be in the know on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Anderson.bryn84
Hi @Anderson.bryn84 ,

Welcome to the forum..

Though I use a Libre I don't have a smart watch setup.

I'll tag in @porl69 who I believe may do... (But not Apple.)
Also, have a search regarding "Miaomiao?" Which is a Bluetooth add on tranmitter for the Libre, making it more like a "CGM?" Than a flash scanned monitor...
I'll also tag in @Mel dCP who may also be in the know on the subject.

Hope this helps.

That’s great thanks for the help!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the tag @Jaylee
@Anderson.bryn84 it is pretty easy to do....if I can do it then anyone can...
You will need to purchase a MiaoMiao (https://miaomiao.cool/) which is simply attached to the Libre. Then you will need to download Spike for your apple watch which will connect to the Miaomiao to collect the readings it sends. Then lastly you will need a smartwatch, I am using the Ticwatch Pro, they, Mobvoi, do a lot of different Tic Watches (https://www.mobvoi.com/uk). Again really easy to set up

Reactions: Jaylee
That’s amazing thanks for attaching all this - I’ll have a good read of these later on

Just quickly tho - the Miao Miao sensor is that a one off purchase? Or do they have a shelf life kinda like the Libre sensors?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That’s amazing thanks for attaching all this - I’ll have a good read of these later on

Just quickly tho - the Miao Miao sensor is that a one off purchase? Or do they have a shelf life kinda like the Libre sensors?

It's a one off payment. It is rechargable. I have had mine for 6 months now. If you are on FaceBook then join a group called "Spike App" and "Miaomiao Smart Libre Reader"

D

Deleted Account

@Anderson.bryn84 a note of caution about the Miaomiao.
It is a great gadget but ...
The apps it uses have been designed to work with the first version of Libre. A new version is coming out very soon (I read somewhere that it would be available in the UK in April). Libre v2 uses data encryption which means the apps will not work with it. I have great confidence the app developers will overcome this hiccup but, personally, I am delaying my Miaomiao purchase until Libre 2 has been released for a while and the Spike, xDrip, etc. apps have decrypted the data.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh ok that’s good to know!! I’ll definitely hold off then as was about to look at ordering a watch and the Miao Miao!

As @helensaramay mentioned.

Sort of hence the reason I'm just I'm holding back & just using the Libre scanning with my phone?

If the "L2" floods the market (I use "flood" as a loose terminology with Abbot. ;)) as an out & out replacment? (Again, my thoughts a cynical stratagem to scupper the developments of Miaomiao? Tapping & holding a market they didn't anticipate as the tech prices fall.) The price of the L2 is said to be the same as a
The MK1. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the price?)
I'm going to want to see some "out of the box" user reviews on what the L2 can or can't actually do with some possible jailbreak app developments by the boffins?