Freestyle Libre - worth every penny

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If accuracy improves and have the function to calibrate it with your finger pricking device then i would consider it.

See post #25 above. Fork out about 100 quid for a blucon transmitter, tape it on top of your sensor, install xDrip+ on a cheap android phone like an LG K8, you can calibrate as much as you like, get hypo alerts etc. etc...

And some nice graphs:

Screenshot_2017-09-27-18-03-45.png

Most of my sensors run about 1 below actual but putting it through xdrip, I'm generally getting +/- 0.2 or 0.3 apart from a few wobblies where I've been out for a few beers....

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Celsus

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
While we're deep in discussion of the accuracy of the libre, I've found that a sensor on the back of the upper left arm is much more accurate than the same position on the right arm. Anyone else find this or is it pure chance ?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While we're deep in discussion of the accuracy of the libre, I've found that a sensor on the back of the upper left arm is much more accurate than the same position on the right arm. Anyone else find this or is it pure chance ?
I suspect it's down to the factors listed in this thread (or another Libre one) about accuracy of 'all' devices. Things like body temperature, activity, constriction etc. I think maybe that one arm is more active than the other. I have previously noted when finger pricking that adjacent fingers will give different readings.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, reading all this is so depressing! Libre is fantastic but not accurate! It's expensive but will soon be available on NHS --but most health trusts will not fund it! Expensive Libre patches falling off! Reaction to the glue! Most finger prick meters not accurate! My GP practice has even restricted prescribing to the cheapest brand of meter and strips, what chance have I got ever getting Libre even if I wanted one? We just make do with what we have and hope for the best!

Reactions: kev-w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I no longer use my right arm at all, for this very reason.

Reactions: Wurst

rhogb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
you may think that £25.00 a week is not much when you are in a well paid job , but when you are just on ESA and unable to work because of all the other ailments, it is a lot of money.
Good luck to you.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
mine fell off today but only had 3 days left

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mine fell off today but only had 3 days left
Hey @Gaz-M, you gotta learn how to shave your arms as a real woman! :)

Seriously, I came to learn this magic from women and pro-bicycle riders. Shave your skin and the sensor patch will under no circumstance 'just fall off'. Yes, it can if unlucky be torn off when scraping against narrow openings when deep sea cave diving, in Indiana Jones expeditions or doing vulcano surfing etc. And the added bonus: When having shaved in advance before the application, it will also be a less painful event when pulling it off again 14 days later.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I feel this is a great tool for getting balance back during a bad spell. (Have one at the moment and it has helped me enormously) there are still lots of wrinkles that need ironing out, which I'm sure they eventually will. I don't feel that we are at the point of ditching our blood monitors just yet. I feel the NHS has a duty to roll this out to those in absolute need first.
On a more positive note, as an avid swimmer, swim training for an hour at a time, I have test swum Opsite Flexifix and it works absolutely brilliantly. Bone dry after. Hurrah!

Brontie_Boo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Injections
Hi Jason,

I feel the same. I'm terrible at taking bloods and when your working flat out, I often don't have the time to mess around. I know that is a terrible excuse but I find a quick swipe and I know what is going on, even if it is not 100% accurate.

I've been using the Libre for about 8 months and I find it brilliant. Even if it is not completely accurate, it has made me a lot more accountable for what I eat and my actions it is worth it. In Australia it is $250 a month but the Government is working on a subsidy and they are under pressure since so many other countries are coming on board.

I get that it is a bit of a money making scheme having the sensors only last 2 weeks but in this day and age what health company isn't in it for the money?

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you have probably realized by now if you got the libre, that the needle doesn't stay in your arm..that s the applicator...to get the probe in...which itself is thin (3 human hairs) and flexible.. the needle remains in the applicator after application :)

TonyH1108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

While I grumble at paying £100/month for sensors, credit where it's due.

It's a game changer for me, the challenge for me is finger pricking, I just can't do it during my work hours, because I'm in a lot of meetings, I know this is a poor excuse, but you just look like a pleb if you're busy drawing blood and etc during meetings with senior stakeholders and etc.

Also I can't be bothered to prick as often as I really should.

Accuracy - it's super accurate for me, matches my One Touch Verio which has been my go to meter for a few years now.

Easy of use - if you have a NFC smartphone no need for their silly reader, no need to carry an additional device. The software is pretty sweet.

Application - I've had no issues with mine, I've stupidly stuck it in my tricep, and done a work out that involved chest and triceps and no weird pains or etc. There is a slight sensation as it's living inside my tricep, but nothing too concerning.

Cost - probably the elephant in the room for most, but really, I think most people can find £100 a month, whether it means less meals out, less beer, less etc, I'm sure most of us can find £25/week if we really want to.

Blood sugars - I was soaring all over the place, and truth is I stopped testing my sugars consistently years ago...but not anymore, within 3 days I'm getting closer to the 5-7mmol range. I've only finger pricked around 5 times since to validate my trust in the Libre sensor. I've got good hypo awareness so generally have a feel for where I am...

If anything, and if there are any Abbott reps on here, perhaps you could look into a discount code or something for those of us who fund it personally. I know there's a code floating around for free delivery, but even a 10% code or similar would really help...

Hi,
Are these really that good? Like you, I have a job where it is difficult to test as often as I'd like. It is difficult to get my BG test kit out in the middle of a meeting or at a lunch meeting, so I often have to guess and usually go more cautious (use less insulin than I should) so I end up with an almost constantly high BG reading.

I start a DAFNE course in two weeks time, so I'm hoping to get some help there.

I see the Freestyle Libre will be available on the NHS soon, but you have to get agreement from your GP for funding. I am tempted to take the plunge and invest the £100 or so a month. As some in this forum have said, what price do you pout on your health??

Thanks for your post, it has really got me thinking....

Tony

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Are these really that good? Like you, I have a job where it is difficult to test as often as I'd like. It is difficult to get my BG test kit out in the middle of a meeting or at a lunch meeting, so I often have to guess and usually go more cautious (use less insulin than I should) so I end up with an almost constantly high BG reading.

I start a DAFNE course in two weeks time, so I'm hoping to get some help there.

I see the Freestyle Libre will be available on the NHS soon, but you have to get agreement from your GP for funding. I am tempted to take the plunge and invest the £100 or so a month. As some in this forum have said, what price do you pout on your health??

Thanks for your post, it has really got me thinking....

Tony

Go for it! The trends are an amazing eye opener. Use it for a month to change how you address things. It’s also great for seeing what’s really going on whilst asleep. You don’t have to commit to it permanently. For myself, as a retiree on a fixed income it is not for everyday use. However, am on hols at the moment, and on a wind swept beach whilst expending energy walking, it has been invaluable for knowing whether to eat that biccy or not.

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re accuracy, it says in the user manual that taking salicylic acid might lower your readings and vitamin C will sightly raise it. Has anyone found this to be true? What about the natural salicylic acid that is found in vegetables? It might be worth experimenting to see if adding in a supplement of vitamin C has any effect.

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
Re accuracy, it says in the user manual that taking salicylic acid might lower your readings and vitamin C will sightly raise it. Has anyone found this to be true? What about the natural salicylic acid that is found in vegetables? It might be worth experimenting to see if adding in a supplement of vitamin C has any effect.
I find that a blood test is about 1.0 higher than the sensor reading, so there's always a little safety margin.

D

Diabeticliberty

I find that a blood test is about 1.0 higher than the sensor reading, so there's always a little safety margin.

I find Libre results wander above and below my finger prick readings and very often by a lot more than 1.0mmol