Freestyle libre

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of getting the freestyle libre, just wondering what people's experiences are?

Do you still use blood glucose testing too?

Does the 8 hour picture and the up and down indicators help?

Cheers

Dan

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thinking of getting the freestyle libre, just wondering what people's experiences are?

Do you still use blood glucose testing too?

Does the 8 hour picture and the up and down indicators help?

Cheers

Dan
Hi Dan,
I believe that many people here find it beneficial. You will find several threads about the Libre if you try the search bar in the top right hand corner.

As I understand the current situation, the Libre is not (yet) recognised by the DVLA, so if you drive you'll still need to prick your fingers.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As as diet and metformin controlled type 2 I've found the Libre extremely useful for confirming and/or identifying patterns in glucose levels. However I consistently get lower readings (around 1-1.5 points) with it, and according to it's predictions I'm well into the non diabetic range, while my meter tells me that I'm at best pre-diabetic as do my HbA1c results, so I've tended to use both methods in tandem as I don't feel I can trust the Libre on its own, and this makes it a rather expensive exercise on my pension.

But certainly for seeing what, how, & when my body reacts to certain stimuli I consider it a minor miracle, and can imagine that it must really help with insight into insulin management.

Robbity