Freestyle Libre...

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my annual review at the hospital on Tuesday and towards the end, the nurse asked me if I knew what the Freestyle Libre was. I said that I had but wasn't convinced about the costs involved. She then told me that she had them to give away free to pump users (they believe that all pump users would benefit form the system) and she could give me the reader and a sensor immediately. Not one to turn down a freebie, she set me up and two days later I am a convert, even though some of the readings are a little questionable. Even allowing for the 15min delay, some of the readings do seem a little too far apart - freestyle saying I am 3.3, BM saying 5.4 and the freestyle still saying hypo 15 mins later.
Getting to the point - I am hoping that the hospital's belief that all pump users would benefit from the system means that they will tell the GP to prescribe it asap. Whenever they change my medication, they give me a form to hand over to the GP saying what I should have on my repeat prescription so fingers crossed it will apply this time.

Reactions: Snapsy

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have used the libre privately for a while and found it sometimes ok and some were not. The dexcom is better but is expensive. so basically i do not use either now. But I would like to have the libre on prescription even for just occasionall use
I am hoping glucowise is ok when it is available

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
As a long term type 1 for 48 years the Freestyle Libre is a life changing discovery. I wish I could get them for free on prescription. I teach children and being able to scan discretely and check my levels are where they should be gives me the confidence I need to teach effectively.

Reactions: Snapsy

cumbria-pumper

As a long term type 1 for 48 years the Freestyle Libre is a life changing discovery. I wish I could get them for free on prescription. I teach children and being able to scan discretely and check my levels are where they should be gives me the confidence I need to teach effectively.

I've had mine for a week now. It's is great to be able to scan anytime. The trend is useful as well. However it's not very accurate on higher levels (above 9 or so) and so I don't feel I can trust it for calculating bonuses. On the plus side it has helped me to detect some hypos earlier and it's great at night when I wake up just to get s quick check.

Undecided whether to buy a couple of sensors and carry on with it and then try and twist GP's arm to prescribe it for me!

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm under the impression that from November it's available on the NHS. We had my sons annual review yesterday and have requested the hand set which is free of charge at the moment and we will get one free sensors. I'll need to pay for sensors up until November when the nurses will know how funding will work. Google it, it was in the paper within the last week or two.

cumbria-pumper

I'm under the impression that from November it's available on the NHS. We had my sons annual review yesterday and have requested the hand set which is free of charge at the moment and we will get one free sensors. I'll need to pay for sensors up until November when the nurses will know how funding will work. Google it, it was in the paper within the last week or two.

Yes but it's at local discretion so you'll need to persuade someone of its benefit: in Cumbria that means your GP apparently.