1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Freestyle Libre

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by spencermilesdarg85, Jan 21, 2018.

1. spencermilesdarg85

spencermilesdarg85 Type 1 · Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows since the freestyle Libre kit is now on prescription how you enable yourself to be able to get it. I have been a type 1 Diabectic since the age of 3 (now 32) and good control. I was told by my health professional to wait and have kept asking when I will be able to get it and all I’m told is ‘don’t know’ is there a process or something I have to do to get access to it does anyone know?

Many thanks

2. vic hill

vic hill Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hi
    frestyle libre only seems to ava on nhs for pregnant diabetic mums
    we were told by a very good source .
    sorry but will down to u to try but will cost as you no, about £150-00 with 2 sensers
    trust me it is a great kit . can give you a very good idea how you do at night and if you drive
    but as per normal some persons do not like it
    this is the west suffolk area
    i keep one sensor for very bad illness ,or pump problems .
    vic
    on insulin 60 years
    please reply would be nice to now hear your veiws

3. Mona2060

Mona2060 Type 1 · Member

Hi there we have been told it is very much s postcode lottery and very much dependent on local authority we are going to try the freestyle self funded for my 11 year old and see if it suites as it doesn’t suite some people

4. Jkm2010

Jkm2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My consulatant confirmed the following.

Anyone on a pump will not qualify
    You need to prove you can test more than 8 times a day as NICE have agreed this is the cost numeral point.
    To qualify you need to prove you have a significant lack of hypo awareness.

Good news for those who really need it but any one with good control can expect to carry on as normal.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook