FreeStyle Libre

MattD303

Hello Everyone! Hope you are all well!

I’ve just picked up my first Freestyle Libre and I’m excited to start using it. One weird but quick question, I play as a goalkeeper in football, Am I allowed to wear the Libre while playing? it involves a lot of diving onto the floor and footballs flying at me so was just checking if it was safe to do so!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are unlikely to get injured by the Libre when the football hits it.
However, it may be useful to get a band to protect the sensor from being knocked off. There are plenty of elastic resizeable bands with 3D printed Libre holders on eBay.

I wear mine at the gym and when climbing but it rarely gets hit.

If you find it is often knocked on your arm, some people wear their sensors in other places such as their chest or thigh. This is not approved by Abbott but I have not read about anyone having any issues.

Wherever you place it, take care to put it on a flat area. This sounds obvious but the sensors do not bend so if you put it on or close to a "corner" of your bicep, it may start to peel away and come off.

Reactions: MattD303

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have learned this afternoon that you shouldn't fiddle with libre while it's wet. Just wait for it to dry, so the glue sticks again. I keep a band over it to keep it in place too.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear a band just to keep it secure and make sure it’s not knocked off during physical activity. Not had any issues, I do find you have to really make sure you size your band properly or you’ll not be able to keep it on long without your arm starting to feel like it no longer belongs to you lol. Been wearing libre for a year and a half, only ever had 2 sensors fall off and one failure but that was unrelated to activity.

MattD303

Thank you for your replies! I’ll definitely look into getting a band to stick down when playing football or doing exercise then! Appreciate the help!:)

Reactions: In Response

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Instead of having it at the top of my arm i have mine just under the arm not far from my arm pit.
The readings were not affected when i started this as i kept catching it on door frames even when sober lol.

Good luck

Tony

boyobanty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone! Hope you are all well!

I’ve just picked up my first Freestyle Libre and I’m excited to start using it. One weird but quick question, I play as a goalkeeper in football, Am I allowed to wear the Libre while playing? it involves a lot of diving onto the floor and footballs flying at me so was just checking if it was safe to do so!

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Exactly the same question I’m about to ask because I wanted to apply libre next month but I do play football and I am wondering if playing football with this is secure