French toast

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given that we follow a low carb diet as I am diabetic and my partner is gluten intolerant I thought I would try and make a bread type breakfast as OH has been fanging for a bread that he can eat. I did a bit of research on google and this is my first endeavour.

Bread mix
5 heaped tablespoons almond flour
2 heaped tablespoons coconut flour
2 XL eggs
4 tablespoons buttermilk

Mix all together thoroughly. It will be a thick paste. Let stand for 5 minutes. If too thick add a little extra buttermilk. Put into a square microwavable contained. I used a plastic container which was in the cupboard. Make sure you get it in all the corners and smooth the top down.
Cook in a microwave at high for 3 minutes. If it is still not cooked in the centre cook further for 15 second bursts.

Let cool on a wire rack.
Slice into 3 or 4 slices

Egg wash

1 XL egg
Good dash of milk

Mix together thoroughly

Prepare a frying pan with your choice of oil or butter on a medium heat
Place slices of bread in egg wash and thoroughly coat both sides.
Cook on both sides till golden brown
Serve with either thickened cream or yoghurt with you choice of berries and a good dash of 0 carb maple syrup

This is how it came out. OH demolished it and was very impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_122718.jpg
    IMG_20160706_122718.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good! Any idea what the carb content would be for the bread, pretty low I guess - almost zero. I've used LowLife bread for French toast, at 3.8g per slice I can just about to manage 2 slices without it affecting me.

0 carb maple syrup sounds good, did you buy this online?

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no idea what the carb count is. I know it is low though. I I was only able to eat one slice of the three I cut it into.
I get my 0 carb maple syrup from woolworths its made by Queen.
I am sure similar can be bought.