1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Frequent toilet visits

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by nessa1970, Jul 20, 2016.

1. nessa1970

nessa1970 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When your bs are high i always need to go to the toilet. My question is.. I feel very full I'm aware of my bladder and there is no way you can not go to the toilet because it's so uncomfortable inside. I'm type 1 6 weeks in. Was type 2 for a year and a half. I'm in lantus 16 unit and apidra 3 unit 3x a day ... with going onto a pump within a few months. My bs for over a week are between 10 and 17... morning and lunch and bedtime. I'm so over the fullness ache... it's really uncomfortable and quite constant as in 2 times an hour going toilet and soon as I've gone I'm OK for 10 15 minutes then it's building up again to uncomfortable and having too pee. It's quite ridiculous and wondered if anyone else gets this when there sugars are high??? Any insights would be greatly appreciated... Cheers

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sounds more like a urine infection, have you taken a wee sample for your practice nurse or GP to test? If not then that would be your first option.

3. robertconroy

robertconroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A urologist will usually do an ultrasound to see if your bladder is emptying fully. This needs to be investigated as well as bladder inflammation or bacterial infection.

4. nessa1970

Yes and I've never had a uti. I'm seeing my endocrinologist 10 august so I will tell him and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. It only happens when my bs are high. Like 28 tonight.

5. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep, hyper urination is a symptom of high blood sugar. Your kidneys are working super hard to try and excrete all that sugar from your blood so they are pulling a lot of "water" out with it, making you pee a lot and making you thirsty.

If I'm high I definitely notice I need to pee hourly.

Have you only just started on insulin? Are they trying to bring your blood sugars down gently?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nessa1970

Been on it for about 6 weeks. I was type 2 for a year and a half. So I'm use to high bs. But not low then high and all the peeing back all in 24 hours.

7. nessa1970

I just posted re my low. It was 7.0 then an hour later no signs just boom. Jelly I thought was going to faint actually. But then jelly an shakes and sweaty comes. Within a few minutes of the jelly feeling. It was very very scary. I didn't think I'd make it to finish making my breakfast. To actually eating it. But I did.

8. nessa1970

And I tested after eating it was 3.2 I think. Or 3.8. So before I ate when shaky I don't no. Rather quickly for a 7.0 wake up isn't it to drop so fast I'd taken my lantus

9. alison.81

alison.81 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have noticed that when my sugar levels are too high I am very itchy 'down there'.

10. nessa1970

Yes thrush. I get that when my sugars are high

11. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Getting itchy down there or thrush when sugars are high is for the same reason why you pee so much. Over about 10 the kidneys start dumping glucose in the urine. This feeds the yeast and you get thrush.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook