Frequent urination

Haileson

I am a little confused. I have been on Metformin now for a few months. At first it worked wonders. Eyesight improved and and I did not have any problems with urination. I was no longer going every half an hour to an hour. However over the last few weeks my eyesight has regresed and at times a little blurry. I believe that this is due to raised blood sugar levels. In the past two days I again feel the need to urinate more than usual but not at the point I was a few months ago. Again could this be due to the raised blood sugar level? If so what can I do to bring it down fairly quickly as I am about to go on a city tour and don't want to be caught short often?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Haileson

Are you testing your own blood glucose levels, that you think they could be high? If not, I would seriously recommend that you get a meter and strips so that you can check what's happening.

I believe that, if your bg was very high to start with, you can suffer from bleary/fuzzy vision as your levels begin to come down. It clears up again as your body gets used to it.

I can't help with the increased frequency of urination.

In your place I'd go to see your GP, or maybe the practice nurse, fasting, ask for a fasting blood test, explain your problems as you have here, and ask for a meter so you can self-test.

If you can give us further information about your levels on diagnosis, and your diet, someone may be able to help you further.

Viv 8)

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
A man in his mid fifties needing to urinate frequently.......
May be nothing to do with the diabetes; it's not unheard of for middle-aged males to get prostate troubles... often not at all serious, but merely inconvenient, and treatable. Whether its diabetes or prostate related, or something completely different, see your GP. Don't sit around speculating, guessing, and putting up with what is obviously a troubling problem, when a simple solution could be easily found.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Viv's post says it all really :)

Just wanted to add, if your BG levels are high then you can easily get dehydrated from needed to go to the toilet so often, make sure you don't stop drinking water to avoid going so often. You need to keep drinking plenty of fluids to keep your body happy :)

Haileson

Thanks all. I was tested by my practice nurse who said my BG level a little high but no cause for concern. She did not think I needed a meter yet. However since the test I have started to urinate more fequently and my mouth feels a littler dry. These symtoms are similar to the ones I had before starting on Metformin (2x500 mg twice a day) although not as severe. Could it be that my dosage is too low or it is no longer working? I will be going back to see the nurse asap but not suring what questions I should be asking her. To be honest I am not altogether confident about the answers that she gives me as it sometimes differ from information I have read or from seminars I have attended. Confuesed and a little worried. Any advice is welcomed.