Frozen berries?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On days where I feel brave enough for breakfast, I often have natural yoghurt, which as you will know can be quite tasteless. I have seen many people say they include frozen berries, which sounds great, but I have a daft question.

What do you do with them? Do you get some out the night before and let them defrost? Do you warm them up somehow?

Yes, I realise this is a silly question!

Thank you :)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I just pop a handful in my bowl and zap them for 30 seconds or so and then dump my diet doctor porridge on top of them. If putting them on yogurt, I used to let them defrost in a bowl in fridge overnight and use them next morning.

D

Deleted member 308541

I put the frozen blueberries I like in the yoghurt and eat them like that, as they do not take long to thaw out here.

I do not have them for breakfast tho' as I prefer a cooked meal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On days where I feel brave enough for breakfast, I often have natural yoghurt, which as you will know can be quite tasteless. I have seen many people say they include frozen berries, which sounds great, but I have a daft question.

What do you do with them? Do you get some out the night before and let them defrost? Do you warm them up somehow?

Yes, I realise this is a silly question!

Thank you :)

Personally, I like any fruit I have to have a bit of bite to it, so I tend to add the berries to the cream (more often than yoghurt in my case, although not at brekkers), ad by the time I am ready to eat it, they're a little softened from their concrete state, but are still bit frozen. Doing this also sometimes results in the fruit picking up a frozen coating of cream. That's delicious, to me anyway.

For added taste, or as an alternative, I'll shake some cinnamon onto my yoghurt. It adds a little something pleasant. I don't recommending sprinkling a little Chinese 5 Spice though, as that adds something I couldn't bring myself to categorise as pleasant - especially when expecting cinnamon!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Personally, I like any fruit I have to have a bit of bite to it, so I tend to add the berries to the cream (more often than yoghurt in my case, although not at brekkers), ad by the time I am ready to eat it, they're a little softened from their concrete state, but are still bit frozen. Doing this also sometimes results in the fruit picking up a frozen coating of cream. That's delicious, to me anyway.

For added taste, or as an alternative, I'll shake some cinnamon onto my yoghurt. It adds a little something pleasant. I don't recommending sprinkling a little Chinese 5 Spice though, as that adds something I couldn't bring myself to categorise as pleasant - especially when expecting cinnamon!
I warm the berries up, put some plain yoghurt into a bowl, pour the warm berries on top with some cinnamon also..I will add a touch of sweetener to the yoghurt. I have done similar with fresh Rhubarb.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used to defrost a couple of the berries to have with greek style yoghurt but after forgetting to do this I added the frozen fruit to the yoghurt and waited a few minutes before chopping and mixing it in. It is just as nice as ice cream. I do not whizz the fruit as this destroys the little fibre it contains.

Reactions: EllsKBells

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just put mine in frozen than let the yoghurt (or cream) solidify around them to make a fake ice cream. I eat them when they're still frozen.

Reactions: flexi06

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just chuck a few frozen blueberries on top of a few spoonsful of greek yogurt. Leave the bowl next to the just boiled kettle for a couple of minutes, and they are good to go.
Don't forget to test to check the effect of the added berries on blood glucose. Lately I have found they cause more of a spike than banana. So I substitute chopped walnuts on the yogurt.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
EllsKBells
I Have Greek yog. with blueberries and strawberries. This time of year the berries are not very sweet, if at all, but the taste is preferable. Whatever you do, Keep eating.

Reactions: Alison Campbell