Frozen meals

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I am pregnant with my second and have a toddler too. My partner is planning to go back to work 6 weeks after birth and I am looking for those emergency meals, which are more than cheese and pork scratchings or nuts, as my daughter will need to eat properly (I'll batch cook her carbs or just make some pasta or serve bread). Are there frozen meals that are low carb for our emergency freezer stock? We're living close to an M&S and a Cook shop, in case our freezer is empty.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try batching cooking your own, for example 2 or 3 packs of mince cooked in slow cooker would give 8-12 portions . Take one out the night before and it's defrosted ready for next evening
Same for any casserole, chicken curry etc
Foil or plastic tubs are readily available too
Just remember to label or write on them as they all look the same when frozen!

Remember too hard boiled eggs keep well and it's as easy to cook 12 as 2 or 3.
Chilled cooked meats too such as chicken drumsticks
Greek yoghurt mixed with milled seeds keeps for 5 or 6 days and gets thicker. Nice with raspberries or strawberries

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do buy chicken curries from M&S - at least 3 of them are relatively low carb. I eat them with green veg and cauliflower rice.
There are a few low carb meal brands, marketed as such, but they are very expensive.

There are lots of ways to batch cook meat/poultry. And I hardboil a carton of eggs at a time to store in the fridge.

I batch cook turkey mince with tomatoes, garlic and some veg then split it into a spaghetti sauce and a chilli mix.

Reactions: jomar_uk and Munkki

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @TriciaWs I like the curries from M&S too, there are some with manageable carbs, also some of the chicken flatties are good too. They freeze I do them in the air fryer 20 minutes, three together a salad great low carb nutritious meal. I also batch cook sometimes and make my own curries, stews and bakes.

Reactions: jomar_uk and Munkki

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

There are lots of ways to batch cook meat/poultry. And I hardboil a carton of eggs at a time to store in the fridge.

I batch cook turkey mince with tomatoes, garlic and some veg then split it into a spaghetti sauce and a chilli mix.
Yes, my wife and I do that. Boiled eggs are a good standby and the turkey mince mix is very flexible, making 2 sufficiently different meals with just additions and either Cauli Rice for the chilli or an edame bean spag for the sauce.

jomar_uk

Like @TriciaWs I like the curries from M&S too, there are some with manageable carbs, also some of the chicken flatties are good too. They freeze I do them in the air fryer 20 minutes, three together a salad great low carb nutritious meal. I also batch cook sometimes and make my own curries, stews and bakes.

Thank you for answering my unspoken question :)

I have an air fryer and before I was diagnosed lived using it as it was so easy to use and fast.

I have not used my cooker in about 3 years now (nursing my dear wife meant other ways of providing meals was found).

What frozen foods would you recommend for an air fryer please!

Also newbie question where on the packaging does it state the amount of carbs and what should I aim for please ?

I’m determined to crack this eventually.

Kind regards & thanks, JoMar