Fruit ratio different to normal carbs

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to lose weight and eating fruit for breakfast most days and a no carb salad or salad and fruit for lunch. Whenever I have just fruit my bolus ratio has to be 2:1+2. If I have the same amount of carbs but 'normal' carbs such as toast or cereal my ratio is 2:1. I also have to inject 2u when I have a no carb salad. I cannot increase my basal (Tresiba) as I have a hypo in the early morning and have tried taking it at different times but makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this issue?

D

Deleted Account

I eat fruit for breakfast every morning and have the opposite experience. I need to reduce my bolus.
My only thought is whether because you are eating less carbs, the dawn phenomenon is greater.

As for your no carb salad needing insulin, this is not unusual - when we eat no carb meals, our body breaks down the protein instead to get some energy. So, if I have a cheese omelette (just egg, cheese and a bit of olive oil), I will need some insulin,

There are some on the forum who have analysed their insulin needs with protein and can provide the insulin to protein ratio. I will leave them to comment rather than incorrectly remembering the ratio and misleading you.

Reactions: Clementine68

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have seen different diabetics give different ratios at different meal times and for different foods as well. Tresiba doesn't change much whether I take it within 26 hours, anything longer my BG does go up ever so slightly. I know my ratio has to change for takeaway food or greasy food and some proteins, such as eggs, with fruit it's been okay on my current ratio which is 1:1.

Reactions: Clementine68