Fruit teas

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Just a quick query, are fruit teas generally ok on low carb? I've been drinking Twinings and tea pig ones.

It may seem like a daft question, but I'm very new to this way of eating, having done low fat high carb all my life and struggled with my metabolism since my twenties. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how many carbs are in my, what I thought healthy, red rice!

D

Deleted Account

Fruit tea is low carb (0.3% carb) but there is more than just carbs that may affect BG (e.g. some people find caffeine ... which is not in fruit tea ... affects some people's BG).
The best way to tell how foodstuff or drinks affect you is to test before and afterwards.

I drink fruit, herbal, roibbos and black tea without milk and they have no impact on my BG.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Fruit tea is low carb (0.3% carb) but there is more than just carbs that may affect BG (e.g. some people find caffeine ... which is not in fruit tea ... affects some people's BG).
The best way to tell how foodstuff or drinks affect you is to test before and afterwards.

I drink fruit, herbal, roibbos and black tea without milk and they have no impact on my BG.
Thank you so much, that's so helpful :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yep - I go for rooibos, fruit & herbal teas, and occasionally white and green tea. No milk, no sugar. No effect on carbs. Just as well - I get through about 10 mugs of rooibos a day :rolleyes:

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
But still read the label as some have stevia and this can upset the apple cart

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@chrestomanci you stole my question, andI'm really glad you did. I recently bought some Celestial brand"wild berry zinger" tea, which has no strange ingredients and 0 carbs/bag. I made iced tea with it. It tasted very sweet. Must be the raspberries?

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I haven't come across that one. Yes raspberries taste very sweet to me now!
It seems that lots of people are drinking fruit tea with no problems, so I'm not going to worry :)
Thanks for the friendly reply!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've drunk various brands of fruity, herby, and spicy teas for years both before and after becoming diabetic, but I haven't seen any sign that they raise my glucose levels. But, standard advice if ever in doubt, check the nutritional content, test and test again.

Happy drinking!
Robbity

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The other drinks I like are the cold infusion bags - usually mixed fruits - they have no discernible effect on my blood sugar and in summer I usually have a refillable glass bottle of the stuff hanging around.

There's a coconut/green tea/pineapple one I'm very fond of that has zero carbs listed in the nutrition labels. The Twinings ones are not remotely sweet, but I do find them very refreshing.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Thank you so much Robbity and WuTwo, I really appreciate your recommendations.