Fruit

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm angry! I did a weights session with my coach at about 17.00 yesterday, went out for about three hours where I ate absolutely nothing, came home and ate the following at about 21.45 - a medium-sized ripe peach, three small figs, some Brie and some diabetic ice cream. All this washed down with two glasses of an excellent Cab s. My reading about 90 minutes later was 9.7! Is fruit not as innocent as I thought it was?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Jeff6016 and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately for diabetics, fruits are high in sugars (fructose), especially tropical fruit. I'm not a great fan of fruit, I only ate the occasional banana or apple, but people on here say berries are ok.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some diabetic icecreams are 'low sugar' but high carb. Which brand did you have?

A peach, icecream and 3 figs would send me a darn site higher than 9.7. Next time, try checking at 45 mins or an hour, that way you might see the peak.

I have learned (through testing) that the only fruit my body appreciates are berries, or a couple of segments of orange. Very small portions.

It is a big adjustment, but for type 2s carbs in any form are not 'innocent' and that includes most fruit, starchy veg and grains. Sad but true.

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*sigh* Thanks Prem51. The ice cream brand is Dialite. I've just ordered a copy of Dr Cavan's book.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jeff6016 I haven't heard of Dialite, I'll google it. A lot of people on here like Oppo ice cream which is low carb. It's available in Waitrose, Co-Op and Holland & Barretts.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again. Just had a google for Dialite and found this:

Ingredients
Reconstructed Skimmed Milk Powder, Polydextrose, Cane Sugar, *Sorbitol, Maltodextrin, Polyfructose, Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Whey Powder (Milk), Emulsifier (E477, E471), Stabiliser (e407, E412), Flavourants, Colourant: Paprika, **Aspartame (E951), **Acesulfame K (E950), * Excessive amounts could cause laxative symptoms. **Artificial Sweetners, not to be consumed by sufferers of Phenylketonuria. This product may contain traces of nuts and gluten.

And i have to say, i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
I think the only 2 ingredients in there i would want to eat are the whey and the paprika.

Nestle seem to think that diabetics should eat low fat Frankenfoods.

-actually, most type 2 diabetics are warned off 'diabetic foods' because they are usually worse for us than 'real' food.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are a couple of low carb icecreams available here in the uk (Oppo being one), but i dont know if they are available where you live. If i want icecream I make my own low carb one (two thirds double cream, one third raspberries, erythritol to taste. Lovely).

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jeff6016 I haven't heard of Dialite, I'll google it. A lot of people on here like Oppo ice cream which is low carb. It's available in Waitrose, Co-Op and Holland & Barretts.
Can never find Oppo where I live my local Co-op have never heard of it and when I have asked for it in the supermarkets they say if there is not enough call for something they do not stock it even two H&B's near me say they do not stock it.. My husband has Franks diabetic ice cream does not spike him at all

Last edited:

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again. Just had a google for Dialite and found this:

Ingredients
Reconstructed Skimmed Milk Powder, Polydextrose, Cane Sugar, *Sorbitol, Maltodextrin, Polyfructose, Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Whey Powder (Milk), Emulsifier (E477, E471), Stabiliser (e407, E412), Flavourants, Colourant: Paprika, **Aspartame (E951), **Acesulfame K (E950), * Excessive amounts could cause laxative symptoms. **Artificial Sweetners, not to be consumed by sufferers of Phenylketonuria. This product may contain traces of nuts and gluten.

And i have to say, i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
I think the only 2 ingredients in there i would want to eat are the whey and the paprika.

Nestle seem to think that diabetics should eat low fat Frankenfoods.

-actually, most type 2 diabetics are warned off 'diabetic foods' because they are usually worse for us than 'real' food.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are a couple of low carb icecreams available here in the uk (Oppo being one), but i dont know if they are available where you live. If i want icecream I make my own low carb one (two thirds double cream, one third raspberries, erythritol to taste. Lovely).
Hi again Prem51. Please could I ask you to swing the Google URL for Dialite my way.
Many thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can never find Oppo where I live my local Co-op have never heard of it and when I have asked for it in the supermarkets they say if there is not enough call for something they do not stock it even two H&B's near me say they do not stock it.. My husband has Franks diabetic ice cream does not spike him at all
Frank's has the same carbs as Haagen Dazs...

Reactions: Brunneria

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fancy ice cream make your own quick one - frozen berries of your choice soft whipped double cream and sweetener of your choice if you need it - whizz it up with a hand held blender and eat right away - low carb and delish. I know some make this and freeze it but I don't as I find it goes too hard and crystaly - you could add a dash of spirit alcohol such as vodka/whisky etc if you do want to freeze it for later as that will soften the freeze.

Stay away from the dates! Might as well suck on sugar cubes - any dried fruit the sugar is highly concentrated and not at all good for us

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup, learned that last night. Emailed Nestlé.
Most of the products that are marketed as 'diabetic friendly' contain a lot of carbs, even if they use sugar substitutes. It's best to always check the carb content on the nutrition information.

Reactions: dbr10

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can never find Oppo where I live my local Co-op have never heard of it and when I have asked for it in the supermarkets they say if there is not enough call for something they do not stock it even two H&B's near me say they do not stock it.
If you ask the manager in the Holland & Barretts they will probably get some in for you. They are usually quite helpful.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm angry! I did a weights session with my coach at about 17.00 yesterday, went out for about three hours where I ate absolutely nothing, came home and ate the following at about 21.45 - a medium-sized ripe peach, three small figs, some Brie and some diabetic ice cream. All this washed down with two glasses of an excellent Cab s. My reading about 90 minutes later was 9.7! Is fruit not as innocent as I thought it was?
No, it's not. I eat very little.