Frustrated

jenny.84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, i am type 1 diabetic and have been for last 28 years, this is my first pregnancy, i am 19 weeks and noone seems to want to talk about the birth planning as yet "doctors i mean" i had said i would like a c section, i have high blood pressure and altho my diabetes has been well controlled so far hba1c is 5.4, im worried about the birth. I want to know whats going to happen, i dont want to be hooked up to pump while trying to push for hours to feel i have failed then be rushed in for emergancy c section, so i feel a planned c section will be best for me. Any advise will be greatful xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi Jenny, congratulations on your pregnancy! I imagine your team are reluctant to discuss delivery at this stage as it's still quite a long way off even if it doesn't feel like it! Can I ask where you live? If you are in England or Wales you are in your rights to request an elective C/S irrespective of being diabetic. Maybe try to explain to your team next time you see them that this is something you're worrying about so they address it sooner rather than later?

I hope everything else is going well for you.
BW
Jess

jenny.84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes im near london, i spoke to them they said there is allot of risks and being diabetic that the infection rate will be high, i do understand that but if kept clean given anti biotics surely i will be ok, i just feel it was brushed under carpet, xxx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can add my to pennorth worth. I'm not Type 1, nor was I diabetic when I was pregnant. I had 3 'normal' deliveries and then a c- section. I know which I would choose. They make it look easy on 'One born' after a section, but its not and it takes quite a while to recover and it hurts. And you can get infections from the wound. When the time comes I'm sure you will have excellent advice from the midwives. But do make sure you are doing it for then right reasons.

Reactions: 2 people

jenny.84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you ladies, i will be patient and see what is best for me and baby and take all the advise off the professionals to make the right choice i think just hate not knowing lol xxx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ok, more advice. Wanted or not. Stop being so impatient, relax and enjoy (if that's the right word) your pregnancy. lol

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kt, I just saw that you have to have c/s due to retinopathy?! I also have retinopathy, so is it likely that I will have to have a c/s too??
:( hope not, would love to try it au naturelle...

Jenny, I have no experience as I am in first trimester of my first pregnancy, but I do know that your team wouldn't make you do anything that your body isn't up to!!! Try to relax hun

xx

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to jump in and let you know my experience... I am T1 and had my son by c-section at 36 weeks ( although was supposed to be 38 but pre-eclampsia got in the way). I know it is a serious op etc etc but my experience with it was fortunately really positive. I was up and walking about the next day and the wound didn't actually hurt apart from when going from laying to sitting and vice versa. I just took it easy and all was good. No problems lifting my son but made sure my hubby knew that I definitely could not Hoover/iron/cook etc for a few weeks.

My hospital team did not want to talk about delivery options right up to my 32 week check but I made sure I mentioned I wanted a c-section every time I saw them, just to keep it fresh in their heads when the time came :)

Good luck with it all. Make sure you enjoy all of your pregnancy as it will be over before you know it. I really missed the feeling of him moving around in my belly first thing in the morning. It kind of reassured me every day that all was ok x

jenny.84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Mrs b, yeah i will do as u have done just keep mentioning to them, i also have eye problems kidney problems and have got pre eclampsia and just want as little risk as possible to both me and baby, i dont like the idea of suction and forseps intervention ever so planned c section is best for me, thank you for letting me know your side all the best xxx

Reactions: 2 people

kt78

Hi Emma and Jenny!

I have advanced proliferative retinopathy have had laser and a vitrectomy, I'm not sure how bad your eyes have to be for the docs to recommend a CS, but it is a factor due to the strain all the pushing of labour puts on your blood vessels.

I was given my CS date yesterday, I'm 26 weeks, for mid September as my Obstertrician was concerned all the spaces were getting booked up already...

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi kt78

that's interesting to hear about your c-section as I also have advanced prof retinopathy, and had vitrectomy in one eye last year. I'm only at the 'ready to start' stage, so not pregnant yet, but my eye consultant has already been in debate about whether or not I would need a c-section..

How do you feel about needing a section? I would obviously prefer not to have surgery but, to be honest, we were told a few years ago that we shouldn't think about kids due to my eyes, so the fact we've now got to this point means I'd be happy to do anything!

kt78

Hi kaz

I'm pretty resigned to it tbh! It isn't ideal, however I, like you, thought that having children may never happen because of diabetes, so am happy enough to go with the doctor's advice.

Being pregnant has actually been quite empowering, I think I always thought my body was a bit of a failure but have realised that despite my rubbish pancreas (!) the rest of me is capable of some pretty cool stuff after all.

Good luck on your journey x

Heatherirvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had an emergency c section with my first after a trial of labour. Wasn't what I wanted and was handled badly, couldn't leave bed, change position, use loo- horrendous!!! . Ended up with undiagnosed postnatal depression for 2.5 years, attachment difficulties as a result until my second pregnancy. I had an elective then, requested the screens were removed so I could see my baby born, this was a far better experience as I had the control. Yes you may have risk of infection but it would be the same if you had stitches underneath. Had further section with my last and this again was a wonderful experience. Defo opt for stitches rather than staples as they are less painful and stick to your guns it's your body and you know it best.

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks kt. I haven’t had to have any treatment on my eyes yet. I just have a check up every 3-6 months!!
The Dr does stress how important it is that I tell him as soon as I am pregnant, due to the problems that could arise etc...
Hopefully, I may get away with having to have a c-section but if they feel I need one, will gladly do what's needed!!

Having my 7wk scan tomorrow. So scared that there won't be anything there.....

Take care all
Em xx

eily1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 29, I have a gorgeous 10 year old and beautiful 4 year old-boyh c-section and doc never offered an alternative. I have had type 1for 23 years and hba1c is usually 10-11. Pretty rubbish but it helps me get by without hypos as my diabetes was diagnosed as brittle. Anyway took me about 4 weeks to recover from both births (physically). Mentally it was all good, I was ready by 38weeks and enjoyed knowing date of delivery beforehand.