Furious

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I got stuck behind a father and daughter visiting Australia from the UK at the domestic airport today. They are allowed 2 large suitcases checked in each, a small suitcase each to carry on the plane and a small bag to put under the seat. He was demanding he needed an additional large suitcase weighing over 32kg and it should be free as that contained his daughters diabetic supplies. The daughter had an additional small bag (I suspect the real diabetic supplies) and they were happy for her to take that.
I can only assume she had an insulin pump in the large suitcase and a couple of spares of the model below
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/528258231287164574/
Or maybe taking Brexit supplies back. His poor daughter (about 20) was highly embarrassed. It had been escalated to management and he was still going at it well after I left.

I really wanted to say something, but just left them at it, I no problems of using diabetes as a legitimate excuse, but really trying to use it as an excuse to get a very large and heavy suitcase on a plane for free, get real.

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
All very strange @Chowie. They should know from the luggage info and their tickets that extra suitcases attract a charge.
I expect it is the same with each country for domestic routes. It is possible that the international weight limit may have been higher.
And the usual weight limit on the 2 allowed suitcase weight for the domestic plane's hold is 2 x 23 kg.
And why when NHS presumably covers pump supplies would she need such a case?
Of course they could call his bluff and ask for the extra suitcase to be inspected by airport security.
I have difficulty getting over 23 kg worth of gear in my suitcase as it is.
You don't think that for some reason they brought their own food. ? Or maybe it was presents for rellies here?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chowie . Accept my apologies for having to endure an unnecessary wait due to a visitor from these shores.
Unfortunately these types are all to common, give them an inch and they take a mile. Give good honest types a bad name.
I would have liked to have been there as a T1 and just asked that question......
“ I have diabetes as well, what insulin do you use? “ Just so they were aware that I knew that they knew that they were bulls****ing.
Is it still hot in your neck of the woods?

Reactions: Dodo
M

Member496333

Many people just choose to cause a scene because it sometimes works and they get what they want. They have no sense of peace and decorum or respect for others. Getting their own way is all that matters. Zero shame.

I could never work in a job role where I had to deal with customers or members of the public. I’d end up doing twenty five to life.

Reactions: Dodo and porl69