G.P refusing to give me my insulin

Paulaah

They are being totally negligent and I can only assume they don’t understand and they are trying to reduce costs. But, they are dealing with it as though it’s coming out of their own pockets, which is extreme. You would’ve thought once the hospital got involved the practice would comply and bow to their instructions.

I’m so worried for our fellow poster and hope she’s made some progress this afternoon. None of us should have to go to these lengths for lifesaving insulin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not on insulin but this month I too am having medications witheld. I normally order my months supply in one go and make up my own dosette boxes. This month my heart and stroke meds came, but all my diabetic meds were missing. It seems that the surgery have witheld because I have not had an annual review since 2019 and I have apparently been refusing to respond to requests to arrange one. They used to write letters in the old days, but now it seems you have to be online to get these notifications.

I am now booked in for next month. Luckily over the years I have squirreled away a stash of the said meds, so will be ok.

I see someone mentioned PALS, but they are usually only interested in the district hospital matters and do not cover GP's who are private partnerships contracted by the NHS to supply services. The OP needs to raise a formal complaint with the Parctice Manager and copy either the CCG or the Care Quality Comission on 03000 616161 or email [email protected]

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a medication review the other day and turns out one of the drugs I have been taking for 4 years needs to be monitored every 6 months! Because that hadn’t happened at all the prescription was suspended and I had to go for blood tests before they would restart. Don’t know if you’ve missed appointments or something like that maybe

• Informative
Reactions: filly and Oldvatr

missy123456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I changed G.P surgery they have been helpful and understand a type 1 diabetic needs insulin hooray. I've got an appointment next week with there diabetic nurse to sort out my repeat prescription. I have reported my former surgery for medical negligence.

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I changed G.P surgery they have been helpful and understand a type 1 diabetic needs insulin hooray. I've got an appointment next week with there diabetic nurse to sort out my repeat prescription. I have reported my former surgery for medical negligence.

Did they offer you any information as to why your old surgery refused the prescription?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When did you last have a medication review? (Pretty much sit in front of a GP, “do you still need this insulin?” With a non plussed face.. we both know I do..)

Are you certain they didn’t decide to put your meds on some kind of “batch prescription” with the chemist? My surgery did this with the Libres. I thought they had been removed from repeat, till a friendly receptionist explained I order direct from the chemist..

But of an odd set up for me, but here we are.. All supplies from surgery except the sensors..

missy123456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They couldn't understand why my previous surgery refused especially as they had been told by addenbrookes to give me the prescription. Yes I had a review in January at addenbrookes and all had remained the same.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They couldn't understand why my previous surgery refused especially as they had been told by addenbrookes to give me the prescription. Yes I had a review in January at addenbrookes and all had remained the same.
Ah, OK.. Had they received any correspondence from Addenbrookes.

I would be screwed without my insulin. Just trying to understand the “chain of command” with your issue..

Oddly, I recently had a call (few weeks back.) from a locum prescribing my recent insulin script. I hadn’t requested for a couple of months? (Checking I wasn’t “omitting.” But confused with the very recent visit to the endo. And DSN All was well.. ) turned out as I explained, I was just running my stash down due to how they prescribe me? ( & my requirements.)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm relieved you've found another surgery and they can get you sorted. I can't understand why your old GP practice would hold back something so critical as insulin - did they ever give you an explanation?

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

missy123456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they had received correspondence from addenbrookes they even said they had it. I will never understand how they could refuse a prescription for insulin especially when they could see from there records I had been on it 21+years. I'm waiting with interest to the reply they make to the medical negligence claim.

arkle

It seems, that like many other things within the NHS, there's possibly a "postcode lottery" going on here. Okay, I'm VERY insulin dependant (2 types) & s,r, metformin, as I've become insulin resistant over the last 60 odd years, though my practice has NEVER refused to supply any prescription, for drugs or libra2 sensors.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
I think you need to contact your surgery urgently. They have your records and are responsible for your prescribing. Nobody else can short-cut that. And if things become more pressing there is always A&E.
Write a letter to the practise manager and hand deliver to your surgery so that you can be sure that they get it. And go to your local AE to get a emergency supply of your insulin. It seams to me that the nurse is trying to save some money for the practice and has decided to treat you as a number and not as a human being, which is medicak negligence on behalf of the practise.

Last edited: