G5 sensor acclimatisation

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just inserted my first G5 sensor. From what I gather, leaving it for a bit tends to get more settled results once its started up. How long should I leave it to settle in before I activate it? A couple of hours? Or would overnight be better?

Thanks! K x

iHs

Try setting an alarm on mobile to wake you up about 2hrs before you would get up for breakfast and activate the 2hr warm up on the sensor. This will give the body time to get used to the sensor wire being inserted before the warm up starts and the transmitter and sensor should prompt for a bg reading to calibrate. Try to eat a low carb breakfast and lunch and then eat as normal by the time evening meal is due. Enjoy watching the green dots move up or down as food is eaten with the insulin.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I haven't used Dexcom, only libre.

Subject to that caveat, insertion causes some local damage, as you would expect with a needle being poked in, and the defence/repair mechanisms influence readings a lot till the repair etc. calms down: the cells involved eat glucose big style so it looks like bg is low in the sensor area even though it's higher elsewhere.

It's trial and error, really. I get pretty good results if I insert about 12 hours before activation, others have reported 24, 48 hours. A couple of hours seems too small, there'll still be a lot of repair work going on then.

Activating when stable seems to make a difference, makes sense seeing as stability is the time when bg and ifg are likely to be closest. Maybe not an issue with dexcom as you can calibrate it as and when you like (can't calibrate a libre, except in my head) although my recollection is that dexcom should be calibrated when stable.

There's an interesting paper on the complexities of it here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

Re your avatar pic, you're really going to have to write a paper on the performance of in vivo glucose sensing while hanging upside down. It really hasn't been studied in depth! Make it your field!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never let it settle before starting the 2-hour countdown and have never had any issue with accuracy.