Type 1 Gallbladder Removal Surgery

kb2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I am having a surgery next year to have my gallbladder removed, no date has been confirmed yet. I have never had an operation before and I am wondering what to expect in terms of my type 1 diabetes and an operation.

Also, has any other diabetics had their gallbladder removed? Upon research I seen that I can't eat certain foods and I am wondering if anyone out there could give me advice on diets and what things I can/can't eat.

Many thanks

Kay

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I am having a surgery next year to have my gallbladder removed, no date has been confirmed yet. I have never had an operation before and I am wondering what to expect in terms of my type 1 diabetes and an operation.

Also, has any other diabetics had their gallbladder removed? Upon research I seen that I can't eat certain foods and I am wondering if anyone out there could give me advice on diets and what things I can/can't eat.

Many thanks

Kay
I had my gall bladder removed a couple of years before my diabetes diagnosis, so I can't tell you anything about the operation and type1. I'm happy to report I can eat anything I like though! And I do like fatty foods and alcohol :) (without the gall bladder that is. I haven't found the trick to matching my insulin to all foods I like, but that doesn't have anything to do with the gall bladder)
I do need a little more toilet paper (sorry if tmi) but that's all. Had an extremely fatty meal the 3rd day after operation, was lovely and nothing untowards happened.
The worst thing about the operation for me was the air they pump in your belly to see what they are doing. It stuck below my shoulder for 2 weeks or so, very nasty feeling. Then again, I didn't have to keep my bg in check at that time.
Good luck, hope everything turns out fine!

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all!

Many thanks

Kay
Certainly when I had my pancreas transplant, they put me on a controlled insulin glucose drip, at least until the anaesthetist did her job.After that I can't tell you (surprisingly!) but everything worked well afterwards. As you are having a gall badder op, I suspect they will run this controlled sliding scale until you are back in the land of reality. Very best of luck

Reactions: kb2010

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly when I had my pancreas transplant, they put me on a controlled insulin glucose drip, at least until the anaesthetist did her job.After that I can't tell you (surprisingly!) but everything worked well afterwards. As you are having a gall badder op, I suspect they will run this controlled sliding scale until you are back in the land of reality. Very best of luck
A gall bladder removal is a minor operation through 3 or 4 small slits. I don't know about diabetics, but non diabetics can usually go home the same day. I'd definitely speak about bg management with the anesthesist , as it may well be possible to skip the sliding scale for the hour or so you won't be aware.
I don't know about transplants, but I imagine they're much less straght-forward than a simple gall bladder removal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Hi all!

Many thanks

Kay

Hi Kay,
If you are having it done NHS here in Britain they will most certainly be aware of your needs and requirements medically, though it does not do any great harm to have them reinforce what is going to happen, and that they are fully aware of your medical history, you should be invited to have a pre-operative interview closer to your final operation date, when you can then question them in detail, and ensure they are aware of any issues you may have both personally and medically.
I have had my gall bladder removed and it is a day surgery operation usually, you may be kept in overnight depending on how you react to the anaesthetic, the operation site is on your right hand side just under your ribcage, and if mine was anything to go by its just a very tiny wound area that heals rapidly and leaves virtually no marks over time.
There may be a bit of discomfort afterwards that feels like you have a bit of bloating, like trapped wind in your upper body, but that will ease, food wise depends on you, I can not take rich creamy foods or certain types of pastry, but I had that before my op, unfortunately it got worse afterwards, however, my mother in law can and does eat anything and she had hers out just a couple of years ago, so it may affect some people in some ways, and not affect others at all, do not worry about the "you cant eat this you must eat that" brigade, try things by yourself and see what suits you, have a look on the diet doctor site.
And in case you are wondering, a member of my family is a senior staff nurse with the NHS.
Don`t fret M`Dear.