Galvus Met

mrawfell

I have recently been diagnosed as type 2. We tried diet but the levels were still a bit high. So I was given Galvus Met. 50/500 once a day from Novartis, and my glucose levels are fine. FBS always between 90 and 100 ( 5 - 5.55 ) However I now seem to have an itchy rash problem, apparently a possible side effect with both components. Anyone been there and and a solution ?

jopar

Galcus Met is a combination of Metformin and Vildagliptin in one tablet..

The ichy hives that you are experiencing could be a reaction to one or both of these drugs, you really need to go back to your doctor so that s/he can change your medication to one that suits you better... There are plenty of different types of oral diabetic medication and sometimes it can be a juggle to find the right one or right combination to suit the individual..

Hi,

As you said, it is the combination of Vildagliptin and metformin. While Metformin, is NOT known to cause any such side effects as skin rashes, Vildagliptin is a relatively new drug in the relatively new class of drugs DPP-4 inhibitors (including Jenumet -sitagliptin+metformin). This gives a good control of the sugar levels but has UNKOWN side effects, skin rashes is one of the listed side effects in the drug information.

Moreover, if you have been just diagnosed with diabetes, you should talk to your doctor if a milder drugs with less side effects like only Metformin would control your sugar levels.