Gastric Bypass Surgery

harryowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

I've lurked around this site for a few years now and everything I've tried just hasn't worked for me. Low carb diets are so hard to stick to long term. I'm a 114 Kg, 5ft 6" and my weight goes up and down like a yo-yo. Three years ago I had to have stents in my heart arteries as they were too narrow, after that I was a man on mission to loose weight and get my blood sugars and pressure under control - it never worked. My GP and Diabetic nurse, God bless them, love the negative blame game, it's all my fault apparently. In two days time I'm having a Roux - En -Y procedure, no stomach or small intestines, they stay in place but nothing I eat passes through them it's bypassed. Hopefully this will arrest my diabetes and cut my weight drastically, however I'm assured I will have some new sets of problems to contend with - I can live with that.

Harry

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome Harryowler. :)

I will tag in @ickihun because she too is on the waiting list for gastric surgery.

Hope the op goes well, and please let us know how it went, and what it is like during the recovery.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi and glad to see you. Forget the negative vibes, you know how hard you tried. Anyone who thinks that going under the knife is an easy, lazy option is talking through their neck.
Good luck on the day and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

Reactions: scooby2 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi folks,

I've lurked around this site for a few years now and everything I've tried just hasn't worked for me. Low carb diets are so hard to stick to long term. I'm a 114 Kg, 5ft 6" and my weight goes up and down like a yo-yo. Three years ago I had to have stents in my heart arteries as they were too narrow, after that I was a man on mission to loose weight and get my blood sugars and pressure under control - it never worked. My GP and Diabetic nurse, God bless them, love the negative blame game, it's all my fault apparently. In two days time I'm having a Roux - En -Y procedure, no stomach or small intestines, they stay in place but nothing I eat passes through them it's bypassed. Hopefully this will arrest my diabetes and cut my weight drastically, however I'm assured I will have some new sets of problems to contend with - I can live with that.

Harry
This is where I know your team have gone wrong. It's not your fault. Some people (even educated ones) think because their body does things a certain way, that everyones does. Er! Nope. Ignorance is everywhere @harryowler .

I hope your team have educated you on what to expect with your diabetes?
At least an idea?

The reason your team put you forward for the op is because they feel your treatment would benefit from weight loss.
Yes, that is true for obese type2s.
Are you taking huge amounts of insulin, like me?

You are guaranteed weight loss with this op. The nhs deem it a very successful operation for life saving weight loss.
Obesity can cause havoc for type2s and none diabetics. Morbidly obesity is very dangerous and life threatening.

By the way, well done on losing enough weight to have your op go ahead. What method did you use?

My brother-in-laws mum had her op nearly 2yrs ago now and she has lost 11stones from her 30stones frame. She wasn't diabetic nor have my other health weight gaining conditions but relied heavily on steriods for breathing. She has sleep apnea as well as asthma.
Do you have asthma only or both?

To be honest @harryowler I think you could have done with more support with your lchf attempt or a chance to try low carb, low fat. I'm guessing you've lost your weight by low fat diet? The choice of a many nhs dieticians.
Are you still losing?

Do you feel confident about your future now? Do you know a collection of post-op patients who have given you some tips? Please share.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was lucky in the low carb diet worked for me, I do hope your op goes well, and your recovery is swift.

harryowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is where I know your team have gone wrong. It's not your fault. Some people (even educated ones) think because their body does things a certain way, that everyones does. Er! Nope. Ignorance is everywhere @harryowler .

I hope your team have educated you on what to expect with your diabetes?
At least an idea?

The reason your team put you forward for the op is because they feel your treatment would benefit from weight loss.
Yes, that is true for obese type2s.
Are you taking huge amounts of insulin, like me?

You are guaranteed weight loss with this op. The nhs deem it a very successful operation for life saving weight loss.
Obesity can cause havoc for type2s and none diabetics. Morbidly obesity is very dangerous and life threatening.

By the way, well done on losing enough weight to have your op go ahead. What method did you use?

My brother-in-laws mum had her op nearly 2yrs ago now and she has lost 11stones from her 30stones frame. She wasn't diabetic nor have my other health weight gaining conditions but relied heavily on steriods for breathing. She has sleep apnea as well as asthma.
Do you have asthma only or both?

To be honest @harryowler I think you could have done with more support with your lchf attempt or a chance to try low carb, low fat. I'm guessing you've lost your weight by low fat diet? The choice of a many nhs dieticians.
Are you still losing?

Do you feel confident about your future now? Do you know a collection of post-op patients who have given you some tips? Please share.
Hi ickihun,

Thanks for your post. In answer to your questions I have no team, no one put me forward for this operation and I'm self funded. I take no medication for my diabetes but do for high blood pressure any education on my condition has been through this site alone. My diabetic nurse disapproves of this site and tells me not to eat a low carb diet or test my own blood sugar levels or check my blood pressure at home - I do though as it's my body not hers. I manage to keep my bloods within the acceptable range - 6 to 9 most of the time until I fall off the wagon. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen my GP, (she refers you) in the last five years and I see my diabetic nurse once a year for blood tests. I walk briskly for three miles every day and any weight I manage to loose on a low carb/fat diet is usually the result of less calories really. Then it always creeps back on slowly. Currently I've lost 7 Lbs as I have to follow a liver reduction diet for surgery. I don't personally know anyone that has had this type of surgery. I am hopeful for the future but I've no confidence at all, I hope this operation brings me peace and health to what seems a lifelong struggle. I'll post what happens.

Harry

Reactions: ziggy_w

harryowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery has went well and back home convalescing now. I'm on a liquid diet for two weeks now but have no appetite at all, struggling to get enough fluids in me. My blood sugar levels are 5.9 now and stay there mostly, my Bp is down and doctors took me off five of my Bp meds. The operation itself is next to painless, nurses constantly ask what your pain levels are but a one was the best I could give them. It's the anesthetic that throws you and makes your head fuzzy and walking shaky but as each day passes I get stronger and better. I watched my wife and daughter chomp into quiche salad last night and was truly perplexed as to how they could eat all that in one go, I guess my visual appetite has taken a blow as portion sizes were always my downfall. The most soup or yogurt I can eat is quarter of a teaspoonful at a time or your new stomach/pouch is painful. I manage half a small yogurt for lunch and half a tin of soup for tea. I did expect to feel much worse with this procedure but it isn't.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really glad the op went well! And that you are recovering comfortably.

Take it easy and keep healing. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is excellent your op went well. I wish you luck with your future. Stay well, and rest until you are recovered.