Gastrointestinal Problems

slimblackman1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been taking Metformin XR for 6 months with great glucose control. However, I'm having some terrible stomach/intestinal issues. Has anyone else experienced this side effect from taking Metformin?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Many people have the same problem. For some people the side effects wear off after a couple of weeks, for others it never wears off and for people like me, well, we don't have those side effects at all.
I suggest that you speak with your GP or DN as six months of these issues seems a long time.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I had terrible diarrhoea, nausea, indigestion and vomiting. I had to stop taking Metformin.
Have you tried the slow release version?
Go back to your GP and see if they will prescribe something else.
Take care

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've been taking Metformin XR for 6 months with great glucose control. However, I'm having some terrible stomach/intestinal issues. Has anyone else experienced this side effect from taking Metformin?

Unfortunately very common, the only thing that allowed me to take it for years was that I was taking pain killers, they balanced each other quite well. Now not on so many pain killers and changed to SR version. Seems OKish, but there have been some moments. I think my lower carb diet helps as well because when I was following traditional advice some 15 years ago, I had dreadful problems.