Type 1 gastroparesis + Low Carb

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All i was diagnosed with gastroparesis last year, I have to say its pretty much been one of the worst experiences ive had so far.

I Previously Used a LCHF Diet to control my diabetes but this now seems unsustainable as i cant eat fat, and veg and most other things with Fibre are off the table so that leaves me with just protein and carb.

but the help from my doctor has been fairly minimal, they gave me metroclopromide for 2 weeks but im not sure it helped, then moved me onto an antibiotic but that also did nothing cant figure our what normal should feel like for me anymore, i seem to have flare ups every few weeks.

to me this feels like my stomach is constantly bloated not just when i eat, so much so i feel it almost makes it harder to breath as its pushing on my lungs.i get nightsweats and the feeling of a lump in my throat around the same time, then it will fade out and ill only get back if i eat somthing stupid (steak being on the list of cant eats is the worst!)

But i Ask this as its making my diabeties unbelievably brittle, im having to split insulin doses with Food and evem then my Blood Sugar with Sky Rocketing hours after i Eat, the worst seeming to be at night.

im trying to find someone else with some experience of this because my knowledge is very limited and i need help

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @itconor , I don't have any experience of gastroparesis but the condition sounds awful, but as your having to split-dose and your bg levels are running high through the night I'm wondering if a pump would be a better option than MDI to help control your bg levels.

I've just looked to see if gastroparesis is listed under the ABCD recommendations for pump funding but see it isn't, however Excessive number of injections for optimised control & Specific quality of life issues is so you would fit the criteria:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

Maybe worth having a chat with your DSN/Consultant about it, I'm almost sure Gary Scheiner in his book Think Like a Pancreas says pumps are routinely offered to patients in the USA who suffer from gastroparesis (although I may be mistaken).

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi itconer sorry to here youv not been well can't say I know much about your condition I myself have got diviculis which when I get flare ups gives me a stabbing pain in left side of stomach low down when this occurs it throws my sugars all over the place because I don't feel like eating all I do is just test my sugars more often doctor says nothing they can do unless it gets really bad then hospital will sort it I like you have got to be careful what I eat dsn says to eat plenty of fibre ? Where you can't eat fibre sorry can't be of more help but sure someone on forum will know more about your condition? so look after yourself and take care.

Reactions: Freema and itconor

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @itconor , I don't have any experience of gastroparesis but the condition sounds awful, but as your having to split-dose and your bg levels are running high through the night I'm wondering if a pump would be a better option than MDI to help control your bg levels.

I've just looked to see if gastroparesis is listed under the ABCD recommendations for pump funding but see it isn't, however Excessive number of injections for optimised control & Specific quality of life issues is so you would fit the criteria:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

Maybe worth having a chat with your DSN/Consultant about it, I'm almost sure Gary Scheiner in his book Think Like a Pancreas says pumps are routinely offered to patients in the USA who suffer from gastroparesis (although I may be mistaken).

Thanks for the reply! My Doc said that she put me on the waiting list but that was last year, last I asked about it I was told their only trainer was on maternity leave and the list had built up because of this so I've no idea when I'll get one.

Their advice hasn't been really great so far in that there doesn't seem to be a lot to say, I've done a barium swallow, had a camera in my sthomic and a couple of ultra sounds and so many blood tests (they where worried about the night sweats) but found nothing else wrong with me.

The night sweats are a big issue when it's bad I'm up changing sheets 3/4 times a night they told me it's not a normal symptom but as it all flares at the same time I'm assuming it is for me

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
It conor sorry never noticed about night sweats yes I do get terrible night sweats which isn't great when you've got a wife next to you I have a large fan going on me all night but still doesn't really help another down side I'm always worried my sugars will drop to low because I sweat when having a hypo so got to check my blood sugars also during night mentioned this loads of times to different doctors etc all say it's your diabetes even when I was in hospital last year nurses commented on sweats nobody could give me a proper answer so if you can find out more on this subject please let me know I would really appreciate it cheers for now.

Reactions: itconor

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It conor sorry never noticed about night sweats yes I do get terrible night sweats which isn't great when you've got a wife next to you I have a large fan going on me all night but still doesn't really help another down side I'm always worried my sugars will drop to low because I sweat when having a hypo so got to check my blood sugars also during night mentioned this loads of times to different doctors etc all say it's your diabetes even when I was in hospital last year nurses commented on sweats nobody could give me a proper answer so if you can find out more on this subject please let me know I would really appreciate it cheers for now.

Yea I'm disturbing her sleep as well. The night sweats are the worst docs say they can do nothing, if I find anything I'll be sure to send it to you! I wouldn't wish constant night sweats on anyone

Reactions: Freema

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Thanks mate look forward to hearing from you.