Gastroparesis, Tips to ease symptoms?

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankfully, though I'm still constantly burping and hearing that bubbling in my throat, my stomach hasn't felt completely stuffed this last 2 days. Having soups seems to be helping instead of solid food for some of my meals.

S

Shar67

I have 2 meals of soup per day and one protein meal with Creon this seems to help, I take pantoprazole each morning.
I have never suffered from heart burn but have had acid and bile reflux for years, so much so I have no enamel on my teeth.
We are all different but things like Gaviscon or as someone suggested bicarbonate of soda can if used over a long period more than 6 weeks can cause gall stones, so you replace one problem with another.
I have had digestive problems for the last 35 years cumulating in pancreas packing up completely, if I knew then what I know now I would have had a stomach by pass but as is my luck to late for that

Trace13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Gastro paresis, IBS and IBD - I have found that gluten free, lactose free, small meals and guess what really helped me... coleslaw.. one of the many gastro docs I have seen explained that the indigestible fibers of cabbage help absorb the excess fluid which in turn stops the diarrhea associated with our lovely condition. of course there is a good alternative which is adding powdered fiber to water which I have done many times in the past. I have been on all sorts of regimens, from no fiber to high fiber.. I think it is just like having any type of diabetes, we are all different and what works for one person does not necessarily work for the next... trial and error. I kept a food diary for a while and determined that gluten and lactose were not my friends.. worst thing ever was a whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich with a cup of hot chocolate... I was in agony.. and that was the beginning of my gluten free healthier diet. Good luck to all of you plagued by gastro paresis, as if diabetes was not enough !!
I have had gastroparesis for years and when I read your thing about diarrhoea I couldn't believe it...I would willingly swap,I can't go to the loo anymore unless I " overdose" on laxatives and I'm told by the doc this is ok so long as it gets things moving! I guess the whole gastro thing affects us all differently but I would give anything to not look and feel like a pregnant whale most of the time :-(

Pink lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Copied from a link in #10

Generally eat smaller meals more frequently. Usually 210 to 240 grams of carbohydrates are needed each day. Setting a goal for 6 small meals a day then works out to be about 2 to 3 carbohydrate choices (-35-40 grams of carbohydrates) at each meal

Assuming that we sleep at least 8 hours a day then that is 6 "small" meals a day in the space of 16 hours of around 35-40 grams each meal. How on earth would it be possible to have a low blood sugar level that didn't spike?
Hi I guess you are on insulin injections , I am only allowed to have 3 Meals a day & 2/3 pieces of fruit ,like an apple. Saw mr D nurse & she lowered my insulin I an on 2 types a day started at times 2----2.4 & though I was dying , so she lowered insulin & told me to eat not to how much ins- I took but to how much I ate so it was lowered but I have had to raise it a little as numbers got very high . See your nurse at Dr s , they really look after me, I get 40-60 minutes per session so am not in any way hurried. Professional advice is best for me , but I burp loudly all the time so will go and fingers crossed get it sorted ,I look about 7 months pregnant by the evening . Good luck &I keep us posted.

Apple21269

Anyone help - really bad bloating - feeling really sick burping and horrible sulphur taste in my mouth - sometimes really bad runs or vomiting - I'm type 2 and struggling to deal with this

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone help - really bad bloating - feeling really sick burping and horrible sulphur taste in my mouth - sometimes really bad runs or vomiting - I'm type 2 and struggling to deal with this
Are you taking metformin? If so, your symptoms are probably being caused by that. Best to speak to your doctor.