genetics

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 twelve years ago after a massive infection followed a hysterectomy. I have since (earlier this year) discovered that only one of my 6 cousins from my fathers side of my family, that I know of, (two died in 1980's, without me knowing them ) does NOT have type 2 diabetes! I read recently about some research which showed that diabetes inherited from different genetic makeups benefitted from different treatments, and I wondered if anyone out there had a link, to access this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I am aware, no matter what the cause of our Type 2 diabetes, the treatment is the same. There are plenty of people on this forum with genetic Type 2 and they all seem to be following the same treatment patterns.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Genetics may play a part in T2D development over which we have little control.

But it appears that we are able to control genetic expressions thru diet...

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My T2 diabetes is partly due to genetic background, my family was from South Asia, and my mother had T2 diabetes.
But I follow the Low Carbohydrate High(er) Fat approach to eating which has controlled my condition.

Reactions: Freema

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My T2 diabetes is partly due to genetic background, my family was from South Asia, and my mother had T2 diabetes.
But I follow the Low Carbohydrate High(er) Fat approach to eating which has controlled my condition.
Thanks for your replies. The research I was looking for identified two genetic variations, and the different complications associated with each variation. Strangely none of our parents have had diabetes. I follow low carb too.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. The research I was looking for identified two genetic variations, and the different complications associated with each variation. Strangely none of our parents have had diabetes. I follow low carb too.
this may be a good starting point.
Genetic Factors in Type 2 Diabetes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1665/

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema