Gerd & Keto

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed almost 4mths with type 1 at 47. Was giving insulin but pancreas is now producing some insulin. Eating low carb. Blood glucose was low on insulin with frequent hypos but now it's 10-14 without it. Added complication of GERD so wheat dairy sugar is best avoided plus other food triggers. Am needing to put weight on so finding keto difficult. Eating a lot of meat and veggies. Any advice greatly appreciated.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed almost 4mths with type 1 at 47. Was giving insulin but pancreas is now producing some insulin. Eating low carb. Blood glucose was low on insulin with frequent hypos but now it's 10-14 without it. Added complication of GERD so wheat dairy sugar is best avoided plus other food triggers. Am needing to put weight on so finding keto difficult. Eating a lot of meat and veggies. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Waterfall, have you stopped using insulin altogether, or just the fast acting stuff? Whilst I'm not T1, those numbers could be suggesting you may need a bit of help keeping them down, but that is something to discuss with your team.

Is the GERD a new thing? I see you are eating LC, so am curious, as many find their GERD improves with LC.

If you lost a bunch. Of weight leading up to your diagnosis it may take a little while for that to come back again.

Again, not T1, but as someone who eats a low carb diet, when I have needed to gain a few pounds, I have had to work at it. I upped portion sizes firsthm then a bit more protein and eventually added some fats into the mix.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

If the gerd is from high fat, taking plain yoghurt after meals can help. There is an enzyme in yoghurt that helps break down fats. My Serbian husband told me everyone in his country knows to have a yoghurt drink after fatty things like burek. They know it helps. He didn't know why but they all just do. I read about the enzyme when I googled about it.
I used to drink milk for heartburn but I suspect yoghurt would be less allergenic if you suspect dairy is an issue.

My regular heartburn disappeared when I stopped having oats for breakfast every morning. But wine in the evening is another trigger for me. Not to mention any kind of processed food...

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If the gerd is from high fat, taking plain yoghurt after meals can help. There is an enzyme in yoghurt that helps break down fats. My Serbian husband told me everyone in his country knows to have a yoghurt drink after fatty things like burek. They know it helps. He didn't know why but they all just do. I read about the enzyme when I googled about it.
I used to drink milk for heartburn but I suspect yoghurt would be less allergenic if you suspect dairy is an issue.

My regular heartburn disappeared when I stopped having oats for breakfast every morning. But wine in the evening is another trigger for me. Not to mention any kind of processed food...
Thanks. I don't eat many fatty foods. When I do I will try yoghurt.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waterfall, have you stopped using insulin altogether, or just the fast acting stuff? Whilst I'm not T1, those numbers could be suggesting you may need a bit of help keeping them down, but that is something to discuss with your team.

Is the GERD a new thing? I see you are eating LC, so am curious, as many find their GERD improves with LC.

If you lost a bunch. Of weight leading up to your diagnosis it may take a little while for that to come back again.

Again, not T1, but as someone who eats a low carb diet, when I have needed to gain a few pounds, I have had to work at it. I upped portion sizes firsthm then a bit more protein and eventually added some fats into the mix.
Thanks. Had Gerd before diabetes. Got some stomach bugs travelling. I think they are all linked. Bg was low now going high. Honeymoon period is not easy. Off basal and bolus has been reintroduced as pancreas is temperamental meal by meal day by day. Have given in to gerd medication. It's exhausting.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Had Gerd before diabetes. Got some stomach bugs travelling. I think they are all linked. Bg was low now going high. Honeymoon period is not easy. Off basal and bolus has been reintroduced as pancreas is temperamental meal by meal day by day. Have given in to gerd medication. It's exhausting.

It won't be helpful to you, but my OH suffers periodic reflux, related to a hiatus hernia. If he stays very trim, he has no issues whatsoever. If he gains a few pounds, the reflux begins to visit. Needless to say, at that point, he trims up! Pronto.

Have you been checks for a hiatus-hernia? Additionally, has your thyroid been checked out? A good many folks with thyroid issues find themselves with GERD and the like and end up using antacids and so on, when in fact they are producing low amounts of gastric acid, but the symptoms are very similar.

Sorry - rambling now, but having seen my OH very uncomfortable with his H-H, I agree it's very unpleasant.

In other news, are you managing to nudge the scales upwards at all?