Gestational Diabetes readings

LJ0612

i am wondering whether anyone has had similar experience to me and can give me some insight. I was diagnosed as having GD at 28 weeks. Initially struggled to eat enough carbs and keep readings within correct ranges so I was put on metformin am and pm. This seems to have helped although would still get odd slightly high reading either when I get caught short for food options or have something which I think should be ok but doesn’t quite work for me. Generally all been in range with fasting readings just below the 5.5 cut off. This was until the last couple of days where I haven’t changed my diet as such but have had some much lower readings. Had a 3.7 pre meal and then after the meal was only 4.5! I did take it half hour late (1.5 hrs) but it just seems really low. I have same breakfast every day and readings for the last two days have been nearer fasting values one hour after compared to what I would normally get. Is this normal at around 35 weeks? I thought if anything at this stage it would be more challenging to manage? I must also admit as an experiment I had some chocolate yesterday then tested and again a lower that expected reading. Seems odd.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are some things I don't understand regarding your ranges and times of testing, and it may be different for GD than T2, but these figures look well within the normal non-diabetic range. Why is 1.5 hrs late though? The official measure time is usually two hours. Also, what do you mean about you struggled to eat enough carbs? Is the doctor telling you to eat more carbs? What do you generally eat?
Apologies for the inquisition:), I just think a little more on those details might help others offer more specific advice. Your figures look healthy though: I wouldn't have thought 4.5 an hour after a meal was indicative of poor insulin response.

LJ0612

I think my main worry is that my readings would have normally gone up more and now they seem lower to me. I am meant to test one hour after eating and the target is to have a pre meal reading of 5.5 or below and no higher than 7.8 one hour post meal. I guess I can’t see what has changed to get the lower readings so seems a bit odd.