Getting a pump

Paul221163

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1, 8 weeks ago. She was ok with injecting until the last week or so. She would like a pump. I spoke to the diabetes team at the hospital to ask about getting a pump. I felt like I was being fobbed off. Are these pump not freely available? I would have thought that in 2016 and with advances in technology that these things would be available. Do I have to jump through hoops???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Layah2013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1, 8 weeks ago. She was ok with injecting until the last week or so. She would like a pump. I spoke to the diabetes team at the hospital to ask about getting a pump. I felt like I was being fobbed off. Are these pump not freely available? I would have thought that in 2016 and with advances in technology that these things would be available. Do I have to jump through hoops???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Hi my daughter is 2 and was diagnosed in march and in june she was put on the pump, they had this planned for her from the start, they told me they put all children on the pump as it works better for them with the smaller doses etc.. i would ask again

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Paul221163 and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what the position is with regards to children and insulin pump availability, however @Layah2013 post is encouraging and I do agree you should ask again if your daughter is experiencing difficulties on injections.

Also try contacting INPUT to see if they can help in any way:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/about-2/contact/

Good luck.