Getting a pump

malky

i know the criteria for getting a pump but i have a few questions. I am moving diabetes clinics to one that supports the dafne course, from what i gather this is a main part in getting an insulin pump. Is the best thing to do just to ask them about getting one and see what there answer is

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I would do just that - ask! it can only help to have the support of your Diabetic team :D having said that, your GP or main hospital consultant or registrar whould be in a position to help you too? don't take no for an answer! 8)

jopar

malky

Glad to see that you'll going to a clinic that supports DAFNE, mind you be prepared to wait to get on it, as most DAFNE providers have a waiting list, due to there's not many courses run in one year, and each course has the between 5-8 diabetics..

To get a insulin pump, you don't have to have attended any carb counting course, if a clinic is insisting on this there are playing avoidence tactics... You do have to learn carb counting to get the most out of a pump, but you can do this at the same time as starting the pump... Life is easier if you already know carb counting though..

I hate when it's assumed that every one using a pump has to fit a certain criteria, in an idea world every insulin using diabetic would have the option of using a pump or not as pumps are a insulin delivery system, just the same as a syringe or an insulin pen is... Just a lot better at it!

The criteria put into the NICE guidelines is really put there to enable those who may benefit but there PCT won't play ball funding one, it gives the patient something to fight the PCT with...

I would ask you never know your luck, the clinic may well be pro-active where pumps and don't use the NICE guidelines as a avoidence tactic ins suppying one. So well worth asking, if they say no then all you do is take a good look at the Guidelines, see which part fits you best and start researching the benefits so that you can build your case to say why and how a pump will help you... Then you start your battle! But this battle can be won it may just take time

iklpixi

Hi there, i'm a terribly-controlled type 1 currently on the lantus & novo rapid regime. I'd love to try the pump, have my annual review coming up next month when i'll ask about it. Can anybody tell me (so i'm forearmed before i go) what's the criteria for getting one?

Btw i'm 37-yr old female, don't know if age is a consideration - do they only give these to younger people?

cheeri

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi ya, I'm 37 too so don't think age is an issue? Also, I know a lady who is 52 who has just got a pump and obviously children get them too :D all I can say is I asked for one, insisted I was allowed to try and then got one - the only proviso was that I completed the DAFNE style course but I know other people have managed to get a pump without that course......good luck!!

iklpixi

Magic, cheers for that - well as i've been trying to get on a DAFNE course for a while now i'm hoping that shouldn't make it any harder. They don't run one here so i'd have to travel, which is making it a bit more difficult. Ah well, i can but ask - then insist!!

cheeri bye

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Age is only a consideration at the lower end of the spectrum i.e. children, all explained in the NICE guidelines: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/TA151/Guidance/pdf/English

Carb counting is an absolute minimum though (and I still don't know how any T1 copes without this), so DAFNE or something similar is probably a good idea. Good luck!

iklpixi

I know, you're right - now that i've started to take stock i'm starting to realise that myself, how did i make it this far without taking this condition far more seriously?? All starting to catch-up with me now mind you & so i'm desperate to find out more on the carb-counting & pump, etc..... :roll:

Thanks again for the input