Getting a pump

Niamh1

Hi

I am currently on injections but will be getting a pump. I am currently using a a Dexcom g6 what pump would you recommend

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no best pump
There is the best pump.for you.
And the first criteria for you is that it is available from your clinic.
Some clinics may only offer one pump (due to the negotiations they have made with the pump manufacturers and the efficiency of training their staff in only one pump), some offer two or three and some offer more. There is little point setting your hear on one pump that is not available to you.
After that, I would watch a few YouTube videos about the pumps on offer and start a list of what is important to you.
It could be size it could be tubeless, it could be a phone app, it could be closed loop, ...
We are all different and our needs are different.

Reactions: Prancy

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Personally I like the tandem.. but it’s the only pump I’ve had

But it’s down to what your care team offer and support

Get a list of your options and then choose from them

If you only choice is onnipod then the best one for you to choose will be the on iPod

Niamh1

i can choose from tandem
Medtronic
on iPod dash

personally i am going to choose from tandem as i have a dexcom i don't like the idea of having something stuck to me like an on iPod. just to ask is the tandem pump an xt pump ?

Ebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So the Tandem loops with the G6 which is great but not the G7 yet. It's a bit fiddly to fill but you get used to it. The only way to bolus is from the pump itself which is a pain. I was told over a year ago that the phone app to bolus would be available in the UK within the year, it's still not and no sign of it being available ( never trust a pump rep) If the Omnipod 5 had been available to me last year I would have gone with that as the looping has tighter parameters than the Tslim.

CakieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
All the isms-just be nice, it’s free!
Personally I have the Medtronic Minimed 780G with CGM and I really like it. This is the third pump I have had and it’s definitely the best I have used. Whichever pump you choose, it can be difficult to adjust to, but it’s worth the effort. Good luck with your new pump Niamh1!

Reactions: Hopeful34