Getting an 11.3 blood sugar down

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I get this blood sugar down please? I’m not on any meds. So so stressed. It’s been up there for almost 3 hours now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wendy22

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Walking is supposed to be good.
I would walk, or do some gentle exercise if possible.
Drinking water might help.
In any event, don't get too stressed- it's not a disaster, and being stressed will only exacerbate the issue. If you can get your bloods back on track, this one big spike shouldn't be too problematic.
Good luck

Reactions: Rach612

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking is supposed to be good.
I would walk, or do some gentle exercise if possible.
Drinking water might help.
In any event, don't get too stressed- it's not a disaster, and being stressed will only exacerbate the issue. If you can get your bloods back on track, this one big spike shouldn't be too problematic.
Good luck
Thankfully it’s coming down now to 8.4 still not great I know but better. Hubby said use meters to try different foods which is where I went wrong as was doing better doing keto. Going to have to be fasting for days now to try and make up for this. I don’t want to be on any glucose lowering drugs. Nhs to retest me in 6 weeks time. I get awful burning in my hands and feet at night.I’m so cross this had been undiagnosed for 10 years which is why I have complications of it now. Just hope if I can’t turn things around myself and have to go on drugs that private endro can wean me off them. Doing eggs, butter and carnivore from now on.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankfully it’s coming down now to 8.4 still not great I know but better. Hubby said use meters to try different foods which is where I went wrong as was doing better doing keto. Going to have to be fasting for days now to try and make up for this. I don’t want to be on any glucose lowering drugs. Nhs to retest me in 6 weeks time. I get awful burning in my hands and feet at night.I’m so cross this had been undiagnosed for 10 years which is why I have complications of it now. Just hope if I can’t turn things around myself and have to go on drugs that private endro can wean me off them. Doing eggs, butter and carnivore from now on.
Sounds like a plan. I was similar in that I had neuropathy and that's how I found out I had diabetes. I dieted hard for my second test (meat, eggs, fish, green leafy veg), and the doctor revised it to 'pre-diabetes'. Different people have different situations of course, but there's a lot you can do, so just keep at it and I'm sure things can improve.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a plan. I was similar in that I had neuropathy and that's how I found out I had diabetes. I dieted hard for my second test (meat, eggs, fish, green leafy veg), and the doctor revised it to 'pre-diabetes'. There's a lot you can do, so just keep at it.
I was diagnosed with ‘gestational diabetes’ in my last pregnancy a year ago but it actually was undiagnosed diabetes I dropped 2 1/2 stone after the birth by IF v low carb then ate a bit more and fasting numbers went up. Private low carb endro I can’t help you, you haven’t reached diagnostic levels. But like I can see from my meter I’m diabetic. Carried on controlling it, tension in house as hubby doesn’t believe me and family as they believe Dr. Anyway praying I can town this around I know keto works just prob is all my numbers have went up now since experimenting with new foods. I can’t tolerate grains at all protein and fat are fine but even with that I still spike at night.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with ‘gestational diabetes’ in my last pregnancy a year ago but it actually was undiagnosed diabetes I dropped 2 1/2 stone after the birth by IF v low carb then ate a bit more and fasting numbers went up. Private low carb endro I can’t help you, you haven’t reached diagnostic levels. But like I can see from my meter I’m diabetic. Carried on controlling it, tension in house as hubby doesn’t believe me and family as they believe Dr. Anyway praying I can town this around I know keto works just prob is all my numbers have went up now since experimenting with new foods. I can’t tolerate grains at all protein and fat are fine but even with that I still spike at night.

Hi @Rach612 ,

Just so you can get appropriate advice regarging your actual condition.

Would you please give us your last HbA1c & BMI please...?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rach612 ,

Just so you can get appropriate advice regarging your actual condition.

Would you please give us your last HbA1c & BMI please...?
My BMI is 19.3 now, I put weight on very easily, just recently found out I have PCOS. My last HBA1c was 30 a few weeks ago but I’ve been controlling it in a weird sort of way by making mistakes and then fasting trying to get my numbers down when I mess up. I’m very carb sensitive. Have to get another in 6 weeks as they are now thinking that I am diabetic which is what I’ve been saying for the last year which is why I have complications of it now. I had symptoms for 10 years. Got fibro scan of liver thankfully not Cirrhosis. Praying I can turn this around. I just spiralled into a deep depression. I want to do LCHF just don’t know why I always spike overnight no matter what I eat during the day. I’m really hoping to be diet controlled but I fear now with some of these high numbers I may need glucose lowering drugs. Really hoping if I do it will only be for a short period I’m prepared to do what it takes to get me off them.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI is 19.3 now, I put weight on very easily, just recently found out I have PCOS. My last HBA1c was 30 a few weeks ago but I’ve been controlling it in a weird sort of way by making mistakes and then fasting trying to get my numbers down when I mess up. I’m very carb sensitive. Have to get another in 6 weeks as they are now thinking that I am diabetic which is what I’ve been saying for the last year which is why I have complications of it now. I had symptoms for 10 years. Got fibro scan of liver thankfully not Cirrhosis. Praying I can turn this around. I just spiralled into a deep depression. I want to do LCHF just don’t know why I always spike overnight no matter what I eat during the day. I’m really hoping to be diet controlled but I fear now with some of these high numbers I may need glucose lowering drugs. Really hoping if I do it will only be for a short period I’m prepared to do what it takes to get me off them.
What figures do you spike up to overnight?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve always struggled with my overnights since they took me off insulin during my pregnancy. It varies from what I’ve eaten in the day but today I just had a lick of FF creamer in the am after yesterday’s disaster but I’d say it will probably still be spiking over night with that. I’m not eating anymore today or much tomorrow and for a while in the hope I can try and lower my numbers. I’m sitting at a 6.9 now. Sometimes they are 5.3 or 6 something before bed but again it depends what I’ve eaten. If I can get my numbers down enough going back to one meal a day with my egg and butter. I don’t want to be on drug def not glucose lowering drugs anyway. I just feel better without the carbs at all.

Lakeslover

Both your doctor and a private endo have told you you are not diabetic and your HbA1c is perfectly normal. At that level you are not diabetic and no doctor would consider prescribing glucose lowering drugs. Everyone’s blood sugar goes up and down for many reasons, food is one, lack of sleep, and stress another. By constantly worrying about your glucose you are likely to be causing higher glucose levels yourself.

starving yourself when you are a low weight anyway will cause more harm than a low carb high fat meal.

did your gP or endo make any recommendations? Perhaps talking to someone to discuss your worries over eating?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve always struggled with my overnights since they took me off insulin during my pregnancy. It varies from what I’ve eaten in the day but today I just had a lick of FF creamer in the am after yesterday’s disaster but I’d say it will probably still be spiking over night with that. I’m not eating anymore today or much tomorrow and for a while in the hope I can try and lower my numbers. I’m sitting at a 6.9 now. Sometimes they are 5.3 or 6 something before bed but again it depends what I’ve eaten. If I can get my numbers down enough going back to one meal a day with my egg and butter. I don’t want to be on drug def not glucose lowering drugs anyway. I just feel better without the carbs at all.
Those numbers are not spikes. They are perfectly normal BGs.
If I were you I would eat a normal healthy diet for the 6 weeks before your next test. By that I mean a mix of carbs, fat and protein unprocessed foods, 3 meals a day. And I wouldn't bother testing my BGs at all in the meantime. You need to know a 'real' result and you won't get that whilst you keep tweaking your diet.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are not spikes. They are perfectly normal BGs.
If I were you I would eat a normal healthy diet for the 6 weeks before your next test. By that I mean a mix of carbs, fat and protein unprocessed foods, 3 meals a day. And I wouldn't bother testing my BGs at all in the meantime. You need to know a 'real' result and you won't get that whilst you keep tweaking your diet.
No overnight last night I was spiking to 10, 11 12 13 +’s and I couldn’t sleep.

Reactions: MargaretR

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No overnight last night I was spiking to 10, 11 12 13 +’s and I couldn’t sleep.
I still think you need to relax and eat a normal diet so that if you are diabetic it shows up in your HbA1c. While you keep treating the symptoms yourself the doctors will always think there isn't a problem.

I am sure anxiety isn't helping your BGs.

Last edited:

finzi1966

I have to say I agree with Zand. There does seem to be some disordered thinking around eating, Rach, and I’m concerned for you. Your HbA1C is completely normal. I don’t really think you should even be testing your blood sugar overnight - what is that going to achieve?

Eat a normal diet (low carb if you want, since you reckon you’re very sensitive to carbs). And get your HbA1C checked in another 3-6 months. And see where you are then. You don’t need to be fasting for hours and hours to get down a high blood sugar, that’s not how it works. Your body can manufacture glucose, and does so whenever you’re stressed. So stop testing your sugars (I would say stop altogether, but as a compromise maybe just 2 hours after meals to check whether that particular meal was good for you or not. But definitely not in the night.

Reactions: MargaretR