Getting An Omnipod

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it harder to get an omnipod than other insulin pumps? I've recently been thinking about switching to a pump because quite frankly my control has been awful! I'm really not keen on the tubing or having to disconnect in the shower (I can't seem to do quick showers!) but am concerned the Omnipod might not be suitable as it only holds 200 units per pod.

Anyway, I'm hoping that can be navigated somehow. I have an appointment next month at the diabetes clinic as basically I'm attempting to turn over a new leaf after being REALLY bad at managing my diabetes. My last hospital appointment was in 2010. So yes, anyway, my question is would it be harder to be put on the pod than other pumps?

D

Deleted Account

The choice of pumps seems to be a postcode lottery.
In my area, there is absolutely no chance of an Omnipod because it is more expensive.
You will have to ask the options available to you in your appointment next month.

Like you, I was not keen on the tubing that goes with most pumps.
But I took the jump. It is rare for the tubing to get in the way.
As for disconnecting for long showers, I usually give myself a quick bolus of equivalent to half an hour's worth of basal before I get in. I use the same technique when swimming.

Bear in mind, a DAFNE course is usually a pre-requisite for a pump.
A pump can help control but it does not require any less effort than injecting: you still need to count carbs and will learn about adjusting basal for different activities.

Reactions: porl69 and Sophia78

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The choice of pumps seems to be a postcode lottery.
In my area, there is absolutely no chance of an Omnipod because it is more expensive.
You will have to ask the options available to you in your appointment next month.

Like you, I was not keen on the tubing that goes with most pumps.
But I took the jump. It is rare for the tubing to get in the way.
As for disconnecting for long showers, I usually give myself a quick bolus of equivalent to half an hour's worth of basal before I get in. I use the same technique when swimming.

Bear in mind, a DAFNE course is usually a pre-requisite for a pump.
A pump can help control but it does not require any less effort than injecting: you still need to count carbs and will learn about adjusting basal for different activities.

Thanks for replying :)

Yes, I hear the DAFNE course is required to get a pump. My GP did mention it before so I'm going to ask to go on it next month. I have seen some comments here about it and so far all of them have been positive which is encouraging.

My diabetes nurse did also mention getting a freestyle libre so I'm going to try for that too.

To be honest, although I love the idea of the Omnipod I am feeling like the tubing is something I will just have to adapt to if the pod isn't an option.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I’ve been on omnipod. It was kind of fun to be tube free. But the fixes for failures is different than a tubed pump. You have to carry more stuff, and insulin in case a pod goes bad. For a tubed pump, just having an extra infusion set can fix a failure.

I have always had a terrible time with cannula kinks, bleeders, and occlusions. To fix it on the pod I wasted a whole bottle of insulin in the 1st 30 days. In trying to get more, my pharmacy said I was too early and got rejected for something that I needed to have. It scared the life out of me when they said I’d have to wait 30 days for more insulin.

I called my pod episode a failure, and started running my old pump.

I will admit, tube free was kind of nice. Swimming without disconnecting was fabulous. That big a$$ controller for it was big. Hopefully they’ll change that to a phone app soon.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on omnipod. It was kind of fun to be tube free. But the fixes for failures is different than a tubed pump. You have to carry more stuff, and insulin in case a pod goes bad. For a tubed pump, just having an extra infusion set can fix a failure.

I have always had a terrible time with cannula kinks, bleeders, and occlusions. To fix it on the pod I wasted a whole bottle of insulin in the 1st 30 days. In trying to get more, my pharmacy said I was too early and got rejected for something that I needed to have. It scared the life out of me when they said I’d have to wait 30 days for more insulin.

I called my pod episode a failure, and started running my old pump.

I will admit, tube free was kind of nice. Swimming without disconnecting was fabulous. That big a$$ controller for it was big. Hopefully they’ll change that to a phone app soon.

Yikes!! I have never had a pharmacy try to deny me insulin before, it's just unthinkable! I'm so sorry you went through that horror!

Reactions: Jollymon

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
My doctor spotted me when I had the insulin issue- they gave me a sample bottle to get by. That saved me.

I do think that Insulet now has a program to replace lost insulin from pod failures. I just don’t know how quickly they react with it.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My doctor spotted me when I had the insulin issue- they gave me a sample bottle to get by. That saved me.

I do think that Insulet now has a program to replace lost insulin from pod failures. I just don’t know how quickly they react with it.
For a pharmacy or whatever to be dumb enough to think you could wait 30 days is beyond the pale. All bureaucracy = no brains.

Reactions: Jollymon

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Sophia78,
Very glad to hear you are going to turn over a new leaf - as the saying goes !! Life will be more regulated but having better BSLs, feeling better and having a great sense of achievement are the rewards.
Whilst I have been on insulin for 51 years altogether, I have only had the Animas pump for the past 7 1/2 years, nicknamed Limpet. It was at the 45 year mark that ,despite 6 to 8 insulin shots per day (MDI), I was getting serious night hypos and the pump eased those right down, restored my hypo awareness and saved me from losing my driver's license. I would not go back to mdi for a million quid !! I thought I would feel too dependent on a pump and lose that stubborn independence of 45 years but the results spoke for themselves. (And stubbornness can be a sign of great resolve but also of great stupidity)!!!
In Australia we have only 3 options for pumps which does not include the Omnipod. And Animas pumps are being phased out. In late 2019 i shall be looking at Tandem vs Medtronic pump.
Even though the tubing can be a hassle, I can carry the pump on my belt, in an inside pocket e.g. by turning pyjamas shirt inside out), ( not sure if women's PJs have a shirt pocket though, and modesty prevents me from stating otherwise !!) or I can buy a wraparound belt or carry back from the pump company or fashion a carrier bag from a mobile phone pouch attached to a lanyard around my neck.
So, if I cannot wear the pump on my belt (like when I wear a rucksack with a hip strap for carrying shopping), I use a lanyard etc)
Limpet is easy to access to look at the screen, do boluses etc.
I detach Limpet for showering and swimming using the technique like @helensaramay uses.
Like anything else you get used to the tubing and make allowances.
Whilst a Libre with use of an insulin pen with fractional doses may do in place of CGM and insulin pump,
where the pump shines is in areas such as you being able to have a 'sculpted' basal rate which can alter, say every hour, by small amounts and cover blood sugar rises such as the Dawn Phenomenon (DP).
Compare
this to having to wake at 4 am every morning to check your Libre and inject a dose of insulin. to cover the DP.!
For exercise, say walking to and fro the shops and carrying shopping, say 20 kgs) ( =5 km) I can adjust my pump's basal rate down ,say down 20% for 4 hours just before heading off.).
With the Libre/insulin pen combo - I would have had to know far enough ahead of time to alter my long-acting insulin which would be operating during and after the exercise. ( That is more of a hassle with once daily long-acting insulin but still so with twice daily formulations).
If the exercise is curtailed I can readily adjust my pump's basal rate rather than fiddle around with boluses of short acting insulin to tide things over.
If I am unwell with a cold, or after a vaccination I can up my basal rate say 30% and calculate a 30% increase in boluses too.
Eating food that has a longer blood sugar rise
such as Indian food can be dealt with on a pump by dividing up the pre-meal bolus into say 30% at or before eating and the remainder delivered say 2 hours later. Try remembering that with the Libre and insulin pen!!!
One brand (Medtronic) pump when partnered with CGM in some models has a safety stop of basal rate if BSL is low, and until the BSL rises back to a certain level. I have had no experience of this but others will have.
Of course some people may use the Libre and the pump, depending on cost etc. Not everyone uses CGM with their pump. I do not generally because, in Australia at least, CGM is fairly expensive but I like that at least the Aussie Government provides subsidies for CGM costs for under 18 year olds on insulin pumps.
The choice of pump vs other is yours,
But just to mention a downside: it the needle insert (like the 90-degree ones) ends up bent under the skin the only way you know is when some hours later your BSL is much higher than expected. The bend slows the insulin pumped in and reduces the dose delivered, it not detectable by feel or sight and does not set off the obstruction alarm. The only solution if this is suspected is to change the needle insert/tubing.
So I have to be vigilant after every needle insert change that this does not happen. I am not sure if this can happen with an Omnipod.
Good Luck and Best Wishes !!

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow, thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful reply!!

I think I am sold on the pump in general and if the omnipod isn't an option then will learn to live with the tubing etc. I'm meant to inject five times a day but that really isn't happening now, I can reach that number within the first half of my day so it just seems sensible to go for a pump. I see a lot of people say they couldn't go back to MDI's after getting used to a pump.
I've already been looking at bags to hang from the center part of a bra, and soft fabric belts to wear at home with a pump pocket in. I like your idea about a bag/case that can hang around the neck too.

Again, thank you so much for the reply and if I can convince them to give me a pump I'm sure I'll be posting in this section lots more in future! :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

I think I am sold on the pump in general and if the omnipod isn't an option then will learn to live with the tubing etc. I'm meant to inject five times a day but that really isn't happening now, I can reach that number within the first half of my day so it just seems sensible to go for a pump. I see a lot of people say they couldn't go back to MDI's after getting used to a pump.
I've already been looking at bags to hang from the center part of a bra, and soft fabric belts to wear at home with a pump pocket in. I like your idea about a bag/case that can hang around the neck too.

Again, thank you so much for the reply and if I can convince them to give me a pump I'm sure I'll be posting in this section lots more in future! :)
Fingers crossed !! Maybe keeping a diary of number and timings of insulin injections per day plus of any hypos for say a week or two (major drag I know) will help reinforce your need for a pump to The Powers That Be !!) Good luck !!
If you look at' Medtronic UK' as an example and go to 'Accessories it has about every type of belt, pouch ect you could want I think.
The soft toy lion is my favourite !!

Reactions: Sweetheart66

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

Hi @Sophia78,
I and perhaps others forgot to mention: the other times i would detach my pump is for a certain three lettered nocturnal and sometimes daytime activity; I tape over the needle insert port on the skin with some padding underneath. In the past I would have included in the pouch, skin etc a packaged condom. Apologies for the details but it is part of life.

Reactions: Sophia78

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sophia78,
I and perhaps others forgot to mention: the other times i would detach my pump is for a certain three lettered nocturnal and sometimes daytime activity; I tape over the needle insert port on the skin with some padding underneath. In the past I would have included in the pouch, skin etc a packaged condom. Apologies for the details but it is part of life.

Haha thanks for the tip!!