Getting back to it! Running/weights

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m 2 months in T1. Did a weeks skiing which was insightful and decided this would be my week for getting back on the training.
Do my first 5k on the treadmill, not fast by any means but felt good.
Started at 10mmol with 2units fiasp on board.
Dropped gently during the run:
IMG_6406.jpg

5 minutes later and dropped to 3.6 on a fingerprick so had a glucogel, finger pricked after 5 mins and no change. Had an apple juice as was back up to 6.3.
Next did a quick 15min set of weights, again nothing too hard, just some bench and machine work.
Decide I would go back to my protein shakes too, this is 7g carbs. So no biggie.
IMG_6407.jpg

Can’t seem to keep the numbers up now tho..
Had a 16g carb protein bar and am currently cruising low?
IMG_1519297637.289094.jpg

I have some ideas, wonder if anyone has any input. My thoughts are:
*Too much insulin on board before exercise (I did reduce by 30% - but also have just move to fiasp this week)
*not enough recovery time before moving to weights from running?
*the protein powder is also a test booster (aspartic acid) and this is reported to drop bg levels.

>>edit had food to bring my numbers up, didn’t stay cruising that low ;)

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done on getting back training. And hope you had fun skiing, it's been a great season for snow hasn't it!

On what you've posted... hmmm, not sure I would describe the first image as a gentle drop! Looks more like a sharp drop as the Libre trend arrow indicates.

Why did you have 2 units of fiasp on board? In response to carbs, or correcting a high, or you expected the run to spike you?

How long before the run did you inject?

I find (and this will vary for all of us) exercise generally lowers BS meaning less insulin needed, but more intensity (HIIT training) can raise BS short term. A half marathon might lower my insulin needs for next 3 days.

As you're getting back into it - and this is based on my experience only- i'd try and reduce the variables. e.g. I would try and have no Fiasp on board (or at least 2-3 hours post injection) and start with a flattish 7 or 8 reading or so. See what happens there when you go long training v intense training etc. Then with help of Libre you can modify your eating and insulin for training with that knowledge as the base.

Having Fiasp on board will be adding noise that makes things harder to judge as you start out.

Reactions: h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took 2 units an hour and a half before training with breakfast (suggested 3 units but reduced by 1 as new I was going to the gym).
Deffo a learning / experimenting time.
Will go for a longer timeframe/bigger reduction tomorrow and see where that goes.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took 2 units an hour and a half before training with breakfast (suggested 3 units but reduced by 1 as new I was going to the gym).
Deffo a learning / experimenting time.
Will go for a longer timeframe/bigger reduction tomorrow and see where that goes.
Keep us updated!
Stay safe bro

Reactions: h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So second run. No reduction today but left it 2-3 hours, had a little iob and had a protein bar 20 mins before running.
23:30 - I’ll take that and steady numbers too!
IMG_6416.jpg

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Added a 30 min weight training after the run ( an apple juice to start)and cruising nicely...

I hope I can replicate this for regular training!

IMG_1519489048.374943.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj