Getting Confused Over Lchf

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

I received a few books yesterday entitled Reverse your Diabetes Diet book and Reverse your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan, the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley and Type 2 Diabetes Cure. All recommended by a few members on here. Thank you
bdcd6189b04cbaee1a96ecd975521fc9.jpg
View attachment 20351View attachment 20352View attachment 20353View attachment 20354

Since starting this LCHF last week, I've gained almost 5Ibs and this is something I did not want to do. How is that

It's bad enough that my ankles are swollen since being on the 4th Metformin tablet and they were not swollen before I commenced these tablets, yet according to the Dr's Handbook, swollen ankles are not a side effect! Hmmm, I think so.

My only blip was last night when I had chip shop fish and chips. My bg before tea at 7pm (bearing in mind my last bite of food was a nectarine about 3pm) was a wonderful 5.7, it's never ever been that good. Naturally 2hrs later it rose to 15, I expected that though.

Other than that I have tried to follow this diet. Today I have a salad with a very, very small tin of mixed tuna from Aldi, see attachments, but I'm getting so confused over the high fat, low carb, that I'm feeling quite low with it all and a bit despondent too.

Should I not have this salad for lunch today?

Plus, I feel like giving in, which I won't, as I want to improve my overall bg levels and I'm not stressing about testing, I actually find it quite therapeutic and am looking at my trends more than focusing too much on the figures, but still bearing them in mind. I really do believe that we should "eat to our meter". It's become my little buddy, lol.

Oh folks, please can you help, tell me if I'm doing wrong etc? I'm going to read these books over the weekend, I've had a glimpse too and they are very informative.

Thank you in anticipation from a Welsh lass
Hi: Try working your way thru this for a science/math based management approach to T2D: https://optimisingnutrition.com

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you rag01 :)

I've stayed away from here for well over a week. As much as everyone has been so, so very kind and informative, I'm very grateful, but it all became too much to take in certain information.

Before i joined this website, my weight was stable and maintained, with a steady weight loss over a couple of months at a time.
I then had my hba1c result and that's when I had to rethink my overall longterm way of eating. I certainly know where my weaknesses are and I realise now that it's the carbs that are the main overall problem for diabetics, not 'of which sugars'.....

I made a start on the LCHF diet, getting a bit confused with the good and bad fats/carbs.
I also had the one off fish and chips meal which I menyioned on here, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but realise that I would pay for the high results afterward.
Still its done and I'm none the worse for it, but longterm, we have to think carefully about the 'odd' one off days as it's not favourable long term.

Needless to say, despite that one blip a couple of weekends ago, together with swollen ankles, my weight increased by 6Ibs. I don't want anyone saying that it's due to eating the fish and chips as that will not be fair, when I read about the food that some have eaten throughout this website, it makes my F & C look like an avocado salad, lol.
I only mentioned it that one day and after the comments, it made me feel as if I did something so wrong. I don't regret eating it or the 6 squares of chocolate to follow, but I'm not taking this lightly, I fully understand the long term consequences of even the odd day of eating this kind of food, but none of us are perfect diabetics and I don't expect many say exactly what they eat and how much of it they divulge on these forums. I was simply being honest!

However, I'm not looking into the LCHF diet at the moment and have decided to revert to my previous relaxed way of eating, but this time, bearing in mind the carbs and making sure that I eat the appropriate amount. As advised, it's recommended I consume roughly 50g per meal, so I'm unsure how some are managing with 20g per day, or am I missing something here, as I've read so many different reports on the suggested recommended daily amount?

I have finally lost 4Ib of part of what I gained and just require 2Ib to get back to my original weight when joining this site. My weight loss is important to me and although I need to get back to 12:10, for my mere 5'4 height, I need to lose a lot more.
I am still continuing to read the books I purchased ie, reverse your diabetes etc, and will embark on it when I'm ready.

I will still maintain that my swollen ankles began when taking the 4th Metformin. I did not have swollen ankles before that and it has nothing to do with any other medication I may be taken.
My ankles have not been swollen since losing 3 stone in 2014. Plus I've read other reports on here and elsewhere where the Metformin have caused swollen ankles.
I just cannot understand why it's not listed in the Doctor's handbook!
My GP said it could be varicose veins (??) Then if that's the case, why weren't they swollen before?
Totally bizarre!

Anyway, as for the LCHF diet, I'm certainly not against it, but I need to read further about it and understand more about it before I try it properly.
I am still having a sweet breakfast consisting of full fat Greek yog with few blueberries, raspberries, a squeeze of Lizi's granola and the Morn flake toasted oats. My bg before b/F recently has been far lower than the usual 11, 12 and is now around 7.5, 8.2 and 2 hrs following b/f, it's around 8.5, 9. Far from really low, but it's coming down and it shows me that I am able to eat this for breakfast.
My pre lunch and pre tea readings have been as low as 5.7 and up to 7.5, then after those meals, it can be between 6.6 and 9, occasionally an 11 depending on what I've eaten. But I'm trying and find it difficult sometimes, but I find cycling helps and I usually see a good result the day after. I did 15.5 miles last week, that's pretty good for someone starting off as I've never had strong legs, but I'm getting fitter slowly, but surely and I'm hoping it will help.

Thanking everyone for your advice, I've read all your comments, tips etc and appreciate it :)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
From my own perspective, the key issue has been getting over the preconceived cultural attitude that fat is bad. It does seem bizarre when a nice juicy steak (no chips) is probably better for you than fish & chips with all those carbs. I guess you are getting the 50g carbs per meal from NHS guidance? How can people survive on 20g/day - easy they burn fat!

I have only been on LCHF for 2 weeks & IF for a week and it really has helped by BG levels. However, just because it works for me, may not be the same for you. The important thing is you find a way that works for you. I'm sure the community here will be supportive of whatever approach you take.

Oh and good luck!

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Morning all

I received a few books yesterday entitled Reverse your Diabetes Diet book and Reverse your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan, the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley and Type 2 Diabetes Cure. All recommended by a few members on here. Thank you
bdcd6189b04cbaee1a96ecd975521fc9.jpg
View attachment 20351View attachment 20352View attachment 20353View attachment 20354

Since starting this LCHF last week, I've gained almost 5Ibs and this is something I did not want to do. How is that

It's bad enough that my ankles are swollen since being on the 4th Metformin tablet and they were not swollen before I commenced these tablets, yet according to the Dr's Handbook, swollen ankles are not a side effect! Hmmm, I think so.

My only blip was last night when I had chip shop fish and chips. My bg before tea at 7pm (bearing in mind my last bite of food was a nectarine about 3pm) was a wonderful 5.7, it's never ever been that good. Naturally 2hrs later it rose to 15, I expected that though.

Other than that I have tried to follow this diet. Today I have a salad with a very, very small tin of mixed tuna from Aldi, see attachments, but I'm getting so confused over the high fat, low carb, that I'm feeling quite low with it all and a bit despondent too.

Should I not have this salad for lunch today?

Plus, I feel like giving in, which I won't, as I want to improve my overall bg levels and I'm not stressing about testing, I actually find it quite therapeutic and am looking at my trends more than focusing too much on the figures, but still bearing them in mind. I really do believe that we should "eat to our meter". It's become my little buddy, lol.

Oh folks, please can you help, tell me if I'm doing wrong etc? I'm going to read these books over the weekend, I've had a glimpse too and they are very informative.

Thank you in anticipation from a Welsh lass
Hi, QB,
If your bgl rose to 15, you might still be consuming carbs you may not be aware of (hidden carbs). When I became fully commited to LCHF my weight dropped slowly but my blood sugars went down significantly. I developed this trick of before eating ANYTHING, I ask myself: "Will this food increase my blood sugars?" If it does, don't eat it, if unsure, eat a little bit of it and if it does not down it goes!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I certainly understand your confusion. It happens to all of us in the beginning. But I also know 50 c per meal will do you no favors.
So maybe just start with thinking about vegetables, protein, avocados, nuts and some Evoo. No need to eat grease, chicken skins, fistfuls of nuts etc. just eat some protein, some vegetables and some fats. No need to gob or over eat anything. Some LCHF people eat tons of fat. For some of us that makes it worse. I think I eat a LC Mediterranean diet. More plant fats than animal fats. More fish than red meats. And I certainly don't eat loads of calories. Fat contains twice as many calories then carbs so not much needed.

I understand you being over whelmed. Please stay here and just take it in as you can. Every step makes a difference, even if it's baby steps. And you're right, we all tumble and fall occasionally. So either Es I just need to rebel.. Most times it's not north it but it took time to get there. Sorry if we were too harsh. I'm not lying, I make mistakes or just am not in the mood to deal with it. We all do it. Don't beat yourself up. Just get back on the horse as soon as you can. If you're doing your best, it's your best. End of memo.

Reactions: Doriand

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
My five penn'orth - carry on eating to your meter. As you said - it is your friend.

By keeping a record of what bg reaction you get to each food you will soon work out what is best for you to eat. Test before each meal and two hours after, you will then see a pattern emerging. We are all individuals and what works for one may not for another.

Good luck with your journey.

Reactions: jonbvn