Getting left behind...

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

Long time viewer of the forum, after 10 years now of t1 getting a bit fed up and feel left behind with recent technology.

Following other diabetics from around the globe on social media sites, everyone appears to have Freestyle Libre, Dexcom or other form of managing diabetes.

I am using Contour Next to test levels, and while i am ok at managing diabetes I could be so much better, and feel like the above devices would help me do that. However, I just find them unaffordable. £62 incl delivery for 1 sensor is a lot every 2 weeks (Libre), and Dexcom seems a significant cost.

I live in Belfast, NI, and while its available on NHS (Libre), everyone i talk to knows nothing about it :-\ and then proceed to say well you are doing ok, i doubt you will get it anyway it will go to those with poor control.

Think after 10 years I just need a new way forward but feel stuck. I am wondering what everyone else is doing? Staying with normal pricking method or taking the hit financially with the continuous monitoring devices and are they helping achieve tighter control?

I’ve had T1 17 years and know how jaded you can feel about it all. I’ve found Libre has given me new motivation and I’ve seen my hba1c come down to 5.8 this year.
You shouldn’t be paying more than £48 delivered from Abbott direct if you use the vat exempt option and use a free delivery code.