Getting Overnight Basal Right

mbudzi

I use Humulin I.

During the day 5 units basal works fine. At night I can't get the dose right. 2 units is too low and I wake up in the 8s which if untreated go on up to over 10 sometimes (no breakfast!) Using 3 units at night gives me occasional hypos but usually nice waking levels (4.5 - 6)

Given that Humulin I is an intermediate insulin with a window of 8 hours or so (but hangs about for nearer 12 hours), I tried 6 units during the day and 2 at night and whilst that works overnight, it doesn't work for day time. I have to drive a fair bit and I find myself under 5 and sometimes in the late 3/low4s ... which is useless for needing to jump in and out of the car to get to appointments.

All ideas welcome ... how do I make this combination work ... or is there such a thing as a Humulin I half unit pen, or is this it ... something I just have to deal with.

iHs

mbudzi said:
I use Humulin I.

During the day 5 units basal works fine. At night I can't get the dose right. 2 units is too low and I wake up in the 8s which if untreated go on up to over 10 sometimes (no breakfast!) Using 3 units at night gives me occasional hypos but usually nice waking levels (4.5 - 6)

Given that Humulin I is an intermediate insulin with a window of 8 hours or so (but hangs about for nearer 12 hours), I tried 6 units during the day and 2 at night and whilst that works overnight, it doesn't work for day time. I have to drive a fair bit and I find myself under 5 and sometimes in the late 3/low4s ... which is useless for needing to jump in and out of the car to get to appointments.

All ideas welcome ... how do I make this combination work ... or is there such a thing as a Humulin I half unit pen, or is this it ... something I just have to deal with.

Hi

Ive only just seen yr msg but would think that Humulin I is available in cartridges so if you get a Luxura HD (half unit) pen you should be able to give yourself 2.5u instead of 3u and see how you go with that. Another alternative is of course to use 3u and just eat a small carb snack to stop the drop in bg.

SewK8

Hello

I am on Humalin I too and am also struggling with night time dosing.

I was on 8 at bed time but was getting the dawn phenomenon so my DSN suggested halving it. I have done this for a week and been waking up over 10 each day. Last night I had 5 units at bed time with bg at 6.1 and tested at 3.30am why bg at 8.6. This morning my bg was 16.4! So I don't think I had any dawn phenomenon so will got for 6 units tonight.

How are you getting on? How long have u been on humalin?

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mbudzi

Hi Kat

I'm unclear why your DSN suggested halving because of dawn phenomenon. Dawn Phenomenon is a liver dump that raises blood sugars in the pre-dawn/dawn. It results in high bg in the mornings. Surely she should have suggested an increase to combat it?

I have asked my Dr to order me the Luxor HD which does half doses as other poster (iHS) suggested. I am still waking in the 6-8s but I hope that with a half dose, I might get back to 5-7 range.

Been on Humulin I since diagnosis. What about you?