Getting ready for pumping

flozac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I am Nicola I have had Type 1 diabetes for 31 years. I have had acceptable control and have seen may changes in treatment regimes over the years. I started off carb counting and eating to match insulin on the old fashioned porcine insulin of varying strengths twice daily. No BMs just urine testing in test tubes. Then carb counting went out of vogue and now because I wanted to start 'pumping' I follow the DAFNE regime. Back to carb counting but injecting to match the food.

I have had a healthy life despite all the changes. I had 3 healthy pregnancies with successful outcome every time. I have no real diabetes related illnesses ie eyes, kidneys etc. I have a successful career as a midwife working shifts for many years. However as I have got older (I am now 50) I have found it harder to control my blood sugars when I change over from night shift to being awake in the day,which can be up to 3 times a week. Therefore my HbA1c has suffered. I also discovered when I was doing my DAFNE training that I have insulin resistance and hence the vicious circle of weight gain and further increased resistance. There fore I now take metformin and along side my DAfNE regime my Hba1c has come down a little and I have shed a few pounds.

I have had a long wait for my pump as after I got the funding the DSN who did the pump training left the unit I attend and I have had to wait until now to get started. I have a start date of the 12th April and I am really looking forward to it.I have opted for the Medronic Veo pump and I would love to hear from other diabetics and pumpers :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Nicola,

Sounds like you have dealt with your 31 years of diabetes really well. I am not a pumper, but I do take a interest in this subject being type 1 myself, and may look to trying the pump sometime in the future. I hope all goes well on the 12th April, and keep us informed of your progress.

Regards

Nigel