Type 2 Getting tingling sensation

norman1312

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have both Type 2 diabetes (on insulin) and secondary progressive MS, so quite a lot to put up with.

I have had diabetes since 1990 and MS (diagnosed) in 2000 (with some VERY nasty symptoms before the diagnosis).
Been on insulin since 1997 and on Copaxone since 2003 (it's helped, no major events, just a lot of small ones), so not a novice.

Something new has come up so I'm posting in both forums to see if someone has an idea what's going on.

About a week ago, I suddenly left a tingling sensation in a ring around my right foot just below the ankle. I didn't think too much of this until after a few days the sensation spread upwards until I could feel a whole band of tingling both above and below the ankle.

Then I felt the same ring of tingling on the left foot also starting below the ankle.

Over the next few days the tingling sensation on the right foot extended up to the middle of the calf, and the feeling on the left leg also spanned the ankle. At the same time the initial band on the right leg changed its sensation to a tightening feel.

One thing that is notable is that the sensations are reduced when I'm wearing socks. But it still makes walking any kind of long distance unpleasant. I'm already using a stick to walk with as the MS is messing with my balance.

My blood sugars are higher than I want them to be, and am working hard on getting them lower. For me it seems the 4 - 7 range doesn't work. My diabetic nurse agrees that 6 - 8 is acceptable. Anything lower and I feel terrible.

I am trying to get early appointments with my neurology consultant and also my diabetic nurse but it seems like this will take some time.

So, in the meantime, I'm asking the communities whether you have encountered anything like this and can tell me what it is and what, if anything, I can do about it.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Might be Neuropathy, I have it and it normally starts in both feet and spreads. Diabetes can cause this.

Hopefully it is not, there is not a lot you can do for it. I am on medication that helps with the pain and tingling but it is still there. My sister also has it and it has spread up into her whole body. it can make it hard to walk and you lose feeling in the parts you have it in.

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like symptoms of neuropathy which is caused by prolonged high blood sugar levels. Spikes above 7.5 are known to cause neuropathy. You can also get neuropathy symptoms with a lack of vitamin B12. I have been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid and vitamin B12 recently because I was getting pins and needle sensations in my hand, but this has now subsided.

I was wondering why you felt terrible when your blood sugars were below the 6-8 range. Most type 2 suffers would aim for the range 4-7. Is the amount of insulin you are taking causing hypos if you cut back on carbs?

Reactions: dbr10

norman1312

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm currently on (for diabetes)
Asprin
Atorvastatin
Enalapril
Gliclazide
Glucophage
Sitagliptin

and for MS
Amantidine
Amlodipine
Amytriptiline
Baclofen
Gabapentin
Tegretol

so an awful lot of things trying to stop various pains! I don't know if the docs would give me anything more!!!