giving myself wrong insulin

diabeticmum

Last night I went to inject my evening dose of lantus which is usually 16 units. I was kind of tired and not really paying attention to what I was doing when I realized that I had injected myself with humalog which is my daytime insulin. I had given myself 16 units of humalog by mistake, and there was no way I could undo the damage. I went into a bit of a panic, and started knocking back calories to cope. I knew that I would definitely be having a hypo in the night, and what was I supposed to do about the lantus that I was should of had? In the end I manged to eat a sandwich washed down with normal coke. I decided I better have my lantus, but halved the amount I normally had to 8 units. I took some snacks to bed with me, and set my alarm to wake me up in the night. I did a reading at midnight and it was on 2.7, so I had to eat more food to cope with this. Next morning on doing a reading I was surprised to discover my blood sugar was 5.9. It has stayed normal all day when I was convinced I would be having some high readings. Just wanted some advice if I did the right thing, obviously I hope I won't be so daft as to inject the wrong insulin again. I would be interested to know has this ever happened to other members, and how did they cope? Thanks for reading?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've not mixed them up before, but I once took my night-time basal insulin twice. I was working a nigh-shift at the time so was awake to monitor the situation. Try keeping the pens separate so you can't make the same mistake again.

Nigel

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I've mixed them up for my son once before. I had him eat fruit puree mixed with heaps of glucose syrup and put spoons full of sugar in his bottle to compensate and also reduced the long acting like you did. I managed to avoid a hypo and he woke up with a great bsl and I didn't have any further problem. Khaleb's long acting is split so he just had the morning dose as normal.

I haven't done it again. You're not alone though. I've met heaps of people who have made a mix up. No sleep on those nights.