Glicazide and diabetic medication

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I jogged along nicely on gliclazide, diet and exercise and was just about being regarded as 'in remission' but then my levels started to rise and I ended up on MDI of insulin due to my pancreas having had enough and deciding to go slow on insulin production. I do have a feeling that what did my pancreas in was the gliclazide hammering it. : could be quite wrong though - I'm no medic.
If what you say is true, then you would appear to be a very rare case indeed. Studies so far have shown that gliclazide does not thrash the pancreas. It is a sulfonylurea med and this is a naturally occurring enzyme that your delta cells are responsible for synthesizing. So the medication is merely supplementing what is already happening in our bodies. So it is unlikely to lead to damage.

The problem is that Insulin resistance makes this type of medication ineffective since it is not dealing eith the problem at hand. So the damage occurs from (a) being prescribed the wrong medication, and (b) overprescribing it when it does not seem to work. Until they start testing T2D for hyperinsulinaemia to diagnnose IR then this medication will continue to be misused. It is not the only one that is wrongly prescribed for treating IR.

Reactions: miahara

Tng1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on various meds for type 2 although I am more complicated as have EPI too but lately my blood sugars are getting higher again. I do try to watch my carbs and walk, do gardening etc but can medications stop working? On glicazide 80mg and going to start taking metformin 500g SR again. Fingers crossed no adverse affects. If this doesn't work diabetes nurse says I may have to start on insulin. HBA1c of 67 recently. Help!
How long have you been on gliclazide? I was on that and had similar issue with numbers rising. Was told that after a few years gliclazide becomes less effective. I had to go on to insulin. They also gave me an injection called semaglutide that helps with the hunger pangs caused by the insulin.

Barb55

I have been on various meds for type 2 although I am more complicated as have EPI too but lately my blood sugars are getting higher again. I do try to watch my carbs and walk, do gardening etc but can medications stop working? On glicazide 80mg and going to start taking metformin 500g SR again. Fingers crossed no adverse affects. If this doesn't work diabetes nurse says I may have to start on insulin. HBA1c of 67 recently. Help!
Hi I have been on Ozempic once a week injections and metformin
This year my HBA1C has gone down from 75 to 53 and I have lost about 3 stone in weight I’m very happy with the results but the downfall for me is I have had several utis this year I’m going to bear with the Ozempic ( semiglutide) and see if I can find a happy medium between my type 2 and utis

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. I am off on Wednesday to start insulin injections as blood sugars got higher to 74 Hba1c. Glicazide didn't work, metformin I can't tolerate for long, so I guess I will have to go down this route. Did lower carbs. Sticking to about 100 or less a day! Not extreme I know but do try to walk etc too most days. I am 66 now, so know my body ain't what it used to be. EPI doesn't help. Basically my pancreas
has gone on strike! Wish me luck.
Did try dapagliflozin too but kept getting tummy pains and UTIs!!
Drugs don't work, they make things worse!!
Well that's how I feel at the moment.