Gliclazide and alcohol

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
So it's my friends 30th tonight and we are off to Frankie and benny's for a meal. There will also be alcohol too and I'm worried sick. I don't want to be a party pooper but I don't want to have a hypo too as heard this can happen if you drink too much with gliclazide. This is my first time going out for a meal on this tablet. I know the little voice in my head is saying just have one or two drinks....but I know what I'm like lol. Any advice? Anyone else on gliclazide? Thanks in advance :)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know much about Gliclazide, I'm afraid, though I expect someone will be along in a bit, who does.

When you drink alcohol, your liver concentrates on processing alcohol, rather than dumping sugar, which means that your b/s can go down (sorry if I'm mansplaining, by the way :)). Given that gliclazide also lowers your b/s, I guess it could produce a Double Whammy effect and lead to a hypo. All I can suggest is that you keep an eye on things and maybe measure your b/s at regular intervals throughout the evening and have something edible to hand, in case you need a boost - but then be careful you don't over do it the other way.

Have you had hypos at all? Presumably if you have, then you'll be familiar with the warning signs and maybe you could get a friend to keep an eye on you as well. I'm T2, and control things by diet and exercise. I don't have hypos but I am told that, if I don't eat properly, I start getting quite stressed; I don't notice it myself but my family do, and order me to eat, so try and recruit an observer to tip you the wink.

Notwithstanding all this, I hope you have a great evening with your friend.

Reactions: Rie26

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi

First you are diabetic and you should quit alcohol

Gliclazaide(Diamicron) Presses the pancreas to produce more insulin

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be careful. I also take gliclazide. I don't normally drink a huge amount couple.of glasses of wine at weekends but was out with friends recently and drank lots of gin and tonics and some wine. I wasn't drunk as such. I didn't think or plan ahead and too my evening gliclazide as usual. Result I was ok while I was out. Got home about midnight blood sugar was 3.9 and I really struggled to get it up again. I am normally super careful and don't get hypos at all. Lesson learned next time I want to drink I will take.a half dose and not drink so much lol. Hope that helps. If you are going to drink and you know you are either reduce or omit your gliclazide altogether depending on your usual dose, what your sugars are normally like.etc. only you will know.whats best for you. And make sure you eat before bed night time is the danger time.

Reactions: Rie26

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

First you are diabetic and you should quit alcohol

That seems a bit doctrinaire? I have been told, on several occasions, that diabetics should follow the Government guidelines given to everyone and (a) restrict themselves to 14 (?I think?) units of alcohol per week and (b) never save the units up to binge drink. I don't drink to excess, partly because I hardly ever drink at any time other than the weekend, and then only sparingly, but I love an occasional glass of wine or scotch and, if I went completely on the wagon, life would not be worth living. I doubt that I ever exceed 10 units in a week; I think we all have to take our own view on what is right for us but I've never heard any authoritative source prescribe total abstention.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rie26 ,

I take insulin. So a slightly different "ball game" with alcahol.. Enjoying a drink with friends is not off the menu. It looks like you will be having a meal too! Do keep the meter handy & keep an eye on the BS.

& above all.. Have a great night!

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Thank you all for your comments :) I had a few drinks...only got a little merry lol. I did run slightly high as did take my machine (13) but seeing as I decided to have a pasta dish too I thought it would of been higher. This was a one off for me as I am usually very careful about what I eat and drink. No hypo this morning :)

Reactions: wolfie11969

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As we all know everyone is different . So I can only give my own experience I was diagnosed in England before taking early retirement and moving to Thailand with my wife. In the U.K. I stopped drinking Alcohol Not Easy when I arrived in Thailand I no longer had the N.H.S.to guide me nor my friends to support me. Thai food has a lot of Sugar. and I asked my Thai Doctor if I could see a dietician to advise me but found them ignorant on the subject of diabetes and food (may not be same now) So I ate an awful lot of fish etc. Making new friends was not easy and I soon fell into the habit of meeting English speaking people in Bars and having the odd drink or 2 or 3 or 4 etc. Result....Stroke after several months recovery slipped back into having the odd drink etc Result 2nd stroke My Doctor said if I continued drinking I would die.... wake up call......I still meet people in Bars I DO NOT TOUCH ALCOHOL I drink Diet Coke or Water. no easy people still say Just have one it wont hurt and maybe just maybe one would not hurt but what I Learnt about myself is can I Stop at one...so I Have not had alcohol for 17+ years nor have I had a stroke I have just passed my 77th birthday This is just my experience with drink.....My struggles.. with food will be the subject of further post. It Is Still A struggle when you meet new people who think one wont hurt..you have to be strong all the time