gliclazide and liraglutide together?

fizzy66

Hi everyone,
Mum has just had a hospital stay and has now been prescribed gliclazide and liraglutide on top of metformin and sitagliptin. In hospital, blood sugar levels had stabilized at around 7 morning and night but around 16 during the day. However, 4 days later and today the levels have been 3 each time and I'm concerned. The nurse at the gp practice is questioning the decision to prescribe gliclazide and liraglutide together so i just wondered if anyone else took these 2 together?
Thanks for reading x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, hope your mum is okay?
All I know is when I was put onto victoza [liraglutide] I had been on januvia [sitaglyptin] and was told I couldnt combine the two together. So just injected with the victoza [liraglutide] alone.
I havent a clue about gliclazide and liraglutide combined. Plus the metformin AND sitaglyptin too? She does seem to be on a lot and hitting low 3 now. Has she had any hypo's symptoms?
Will bump up your post for you, hopefully someone will come along soon and help you along.
Anna.x :D

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
fizzy66 said:
Hi everyone,
Mum has just had a hospital stay and has now been prescribed gliclazide and liraglutide on top of metformin and sitagliptin. In hospital, blood sugar levels had stabilized at around 7 morning and night but around 16 during the day. However, 4 days later and today the levels have been 3 each time and I'm concerned. The nurse at the gp practice is questioning the decision to prescribe gliclazide and liraglutide together so i just wondered if anyone else took these 2 together?
Thanks for reading x

Hi Fizzy66 - well firstly, hope your mum is ok?

I've just noticed your question, not sure if you found any answers.

I am on gliclazide (80mg) and liraglutide (1.2mg dose) together - and no major problems; I take one gliclazie tablet in the morning (with my metformin); and the same with evening meal.

My liraglutide (victoza) injection is done around 1pm (13:00hrs) - which suits my own lifestyle.

This timing seems to keep my BG levels fairly level throughout the day;

I know that gliclazide can be quite aggresive when used in conjunction with liraglutide (more chance of a HYPO) - is she doing the injection close to taking the tablets?

Hope you get an answer.

Mark