Gliclazide replaced by Jardiance

DenT46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on 4 x 500 mg Metformin and 2 x 40mg of Gliclazide for quite some time for my type 2 control.
Recently a visiting Clinical Pharmacist (with my doctor’s approval) stopped the Gliclazide and replaced it with 10mg of Empagliflozin (Jardiance).
This I notice has a 1:10 side effect of causing UTIs.
Do any members have experience of taking Jardiance and its side effects?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been on 4 x 500 mg Metformin and 2 x 40mg of Gliclazide for quite some time for my type 2 control.
Recently a visiting Clinical Pharmacist (with my doctor’s approval) stopped the Gliclazide and replaced it with 10mg of Empagliflozin (Jardiance).
I'm on it, but haven't experienced any side affects at all.

W&D's Nana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on 10 mg Jardiance for about 6 months now and haven't experienced any side effects.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've been on it for several years. I thought I had a UTI once, but now think it was urgency secondary to high BG

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Forxiga dapagliflozin) which is the same family of medication as Jardiance and the common side effect is thrush and UTI. I had thrush 3 times in 4 weeks even though I was low carb and it was making me miserable. I had to stop it which was such a shame as it was reducing my BG really well. I’m now on Sitagliptin which is giving me severe hip pain plus isn’t bringing my BG down so back to the GP :confused:

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It took me a few weeks to get used to. I have irritation when I have had too much sugar or carbs but Bepanthem helps. I stick to low carb usually but make sure I have a slice of multiseeded toast for breakfast as I was told that hypos can be a problem.

I really didn't want to go on this drug but it has been brilliant. Sugars usually about 6.2 after food and I've lost weight as the body goes slightly ketotic and uses up fat :)

First HbA1C after starting this, tomorrow.

Reactions: saky and GinnyIckle

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It can cause UTI's because of the way it works (holds excess glucose in your pee), just make sure you're well hydrated and it shouldn't be an issue. At 1st if you haven't been a big drinker you'll feel like you're never away from the loo, but as your body gets used to being more hydrated (and hopefully your BG's com down) this eases. I've been on dapagliflozin for about 7 years - maybe 1 short bout of thrush in that time. And it doesn't need to be water - any unsweetened fluid will do

Reactions: saky and GinnyIckle

Kilroy62

I have been on Jardiance for 6 months. Regarding UTI this tablet is unforgiving. Got it once after a month - I found it best to regularly drink water every hour and at least 250ml before bed. none since. The Metformin is also one to avoid having too much salt as you retain water and with both of them it is best to regulate salt and space water so its about 100 - 150ml an hour or more if overweight. In summer so far I have increased to 175ml and likely to hit 200ml next month. The empagliflozan gets rid of excess sugars but if you do not drink clear water to flush out then yes you may get more UTI. There are other side effects more serious so care and hygiene becomes really important. Overall though I have found it beneficial and the last M.O.T was the best to date down from 52 to 46 with reasonable kidney function and overall loss of a few more kilos and improved BP. So I am persevering with it as it also provides protection for my heart and other organs. It can be unforgiving when you slip

Reactions: GinnyIckle

Aggybullneck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I had to stop taking Empagliflozen as it gave me constant Thrush , it stopped as soon as I stopped taking it !

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to stop taking Empagliflozen as it gave me constant Thrush , it stopped as soon as I stopped taking it !
I was on dapaglifozin but believe its similar to empaglifozin I had a severe reaction over the course of a few months where I was vomiting daily and ended up in hospital with ketoacidosis/metabolic syndrome, once the hospital stopped my diabetic meds and got my insulin levels back to how they should be I was OK and allowed home ,it was decided that I should only be on insulin and have been fine since ,I now make sure I read patient information leaflets .
I do not mean to scare people but just read the leaflet and note any side effects you may be experiencing.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was offered Dapagliflozin as well back in March to lower my HBA1c from 82. At that moment I managed to do this via diet and get back into the normal zone. I was told at that moment the Flozin type drugs like Dapa and Empagliflozin and Forixa are miracle drugs and are amazing at lowering blood sugar levels. Those on these drugs please explain is this true? Are you able to eat a more normal foods i.e. fruits and rice and carbs and take these drugs and still mainatian good BG levels?

cblack1966

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was offered Dapagliflozin as well back in March to lower my HBA1c from 82. At that moment I managed to do this via diet and get back into the normal zone. I was told at that moment the Flozin type drugs like Dapa and Empagliflozin and Forixa are miracle drugs and are amazing at lowering blood sugar levels. Those on these drugs please explain is this true? Are you able to eat a more normal foods i.e. fruits and rice and carbs and take these drugs and still mainatian good BG levels?
You will just **** all the sugars out, the higher the sugar levels, the more you will ****.

Nothing miraculous happening.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You will just **** all the sugars out, the higher the sugar levels, the more you will ****.

Nothing miraculous happening.
Well I guess its simple right, nothing miraculous required, just **** it out
How about if your like me, strict on food, whats it gonna **** out then?

cblack1966

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I guess its simple right, nothing miraculous required, just **** it out
How about if your like me, strict on food, whats it gonna **** out then?
Everything, mostly, has carbs.

Plus apparantly it is better for you heart and othet organs.

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes..... but!!!! I had some pasta and garlic bread the other day and was 5.7 2hrs later. But! There was irritation in the nether regions later as payback!!

JJAcu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been on both Metformin and Gliclazide for over 10 years and added Jardiance after heart surgery 2 years ago and been on low levels of insulin for about 6 years. I have had no side effects from the Jardiance but I did get an interesting result when I stopped Gliclazide. I had been weaning myself off it for over a year (1/2 doses), and with the support of my GP stopped it. That was about 4 months ago. The effect was my uncontrollable cravings for sugar stopped immediately and my lack of impulse control on buying and eating junk food (despite knowing it was causing major problems) completely turned around. I have been eating well. dropped 7 kg and my HBA1c has dropped from 7.1 to 6.6 in 3 months. I have not come across anyone else who has had the same reaction so I am not suggesting others will have the same outcome, but that is what happened to me. In any case, I never felt comfortable with it. If I can sustain the impulse control and not revert to old bad habits for a more extended period, I may be able to get off the insulin as well. However, my experience with diabetes is to make any big changes (that is, reducing medication) slowly so that the body/mind/emotions work together rather than pulling in different directions.
The other comment about drinking enough water if on Jardiance was very useful and it has reminded me to drink more water.
Thank you. this is my first post. I am in Australia and I find the UK forums very interesting and useful.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes..... but!!!! I had some pasta and garlic bread the other day and was 5.7 2hrs later. But! There was irritation in the nether regions later as payback!!
Pasta and Garlic bread and 5.7, deffo doing its job then I guess...

Cozmicpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on it a couple of years and haven't noticed any side effects.