Gliclazide replaced by Jardiance

foto2021

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was prescribed Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) about six months ago, in addition to the usual Metformin 2 x 500 mg and Gliclazide 80 mg twice daily. The prime concern was to protect my kidneys, but Forxiga has helped me greatly with blood glucose control. To the great benefit of being to reduce my Gliclazide to 40 mg once daily.

Like all sulfonylurea medications, Gliclazide is prone to causing weight gain and reducing my daily dose by 75% has enabled me to lose 18 lb in a little over six months. So I am delighted!

My one concern is a quoted rare side effect of gangrene of the perineum. I have noticed a significant increase in ‘jock itch’ which I am controlling with topical applications of anti-fungal cream such as Daktarin. I am monitoring this carefully to avoid it developing into something much worse.

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good control? Can you eat moderate carbs?
I can..... but there is payback as the more carbs you put in, the more sugar cones out in your wee and that can have consequences especially if you don't increase water intake to dilute it.

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It took me a few weeks to get used to. I have irritation when I have had too much sugar or carbs but Bepanthem helps. I stick to low carb usually but make sure I have a slice of multiseeded toast for breakfast as I was told that hypos can be a problem.

I really didn't want to go on this drug but it has been brilliant. Sugars usually about 6.2 after food and I've lost weight as the body goes slightly ketotic and uses up fat :)

First HbA1C after starting this, tomorrow.
HbA1C is 45! Down from 61 pre Jardiance which was started in March. Also lost 7lbs :)

Kaydee59

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on 4 x 500 mg Metformin and 2 x 40mg of Gliclazide for quite some time for my type 2 control.
Recently a visiting Clinical Pharmacist (with my doctor’s approval) stopped the Gliclazide and replaced it with 10mg of Empagliflozin (Jardiance).
This I notice has a 1:10 side effect of causing UTIs.
Do any members have experience of taking Jardiance and its side effects?
I have been on Empagliflozin for about 3 years. In the beginning I suffered a lot with thrush as it works on the kidneys flushing out the sugars - i had most of my pancreas removed 2 years ago and am now insulin dependent. I am still on empagliflozin but have only had a few attacks of thrush in the last 2 years.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I’ve been on 25mg Empagliflozin for ages and so far ok

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The only side effect I had when swapping to empiogliflozone was weight loss, I went from over 13 stone down 10 pounds. Unfortunately over 2 years that has now come back

D

Deleted member 571965

It took me a few weeks to get used to. I have irritation when I have had too much sugar or carbs but Bepanthem helps. I stick to low carb usually but make sure I have a slice of multiseeded toast for breakfast as I was told that hypos can be a problem.

I really didn't want to go on this drug but it has been brilliant. Sugars usually about 6.2 after food and I've lost weight as the body goes slightly ketotic and uses up fat :)

First HbA1C after starting this, tomorrow.
Personally I would advise speaking to your healthcare professional regarding commencing a low carb/keto diet whilst being on an SGLT-2. There are risks at doing so, namely DKA.

The body going into ketosis isn't causing weight loss - it's being in a calorie deficit. I could eat 1,200 calories worth of McDonalds each day and lose weight, or eat 5,000 calories worth of butter (and be in ketosis) and gain weight.