Gliclazide - weight increase

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Since starting Gliclazide last November (in addition to Metformin) I have put on an extra stone.
I am hoping to come off the Gliclazide shortly as it is not working but I want to know is will stopping the Gliclazide result in a reduction in my weight??
All advice greatly received.

:roll: :?

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
Hey Jude (beatles song floating around in brain!!) I am on gliclazide and metformin and I have put on weight in the last 6 months (probably 2 stone). Dont know if its the addition of the gliclazide or the insulin I pump into my body or any of the other many things I take but will watch what replies you get back.

Suzil

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I piled on weight( at least 2 stone) whilst taking gliclazide( it's a recorded side effect for it) I stopped taking it and went lower carb at the same time about 16 months ago. Since when I have lost 2 1/2 stone. I exercise too.
they say it's harder to lose it ater 60 and I'm lighter now than I was at 40. It's slowed to undetectable now, but I've dropped the carbs even more and keeping on with it in hopes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear Suzil
Gliclazide AND insulin? Gliclazide stimulates the beta cells to make insulin, so that seems odd. Have you asked why? Also, If you are flooding your system with insulin in this way and then probably feeding the medication, to avoid hypos, You WILL gain weight.

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
Hanadra thanks for your input. Yet more proof that my diabetic team don't know what they are doing! I am trying to get an appointment with my doctor but have to wait 2 weeks (they obviously put the shutters up when I call). Will ask why I am taking so many different tablets plus insulin and see what reaction I get. Am also hoping to hit them with the low carb thought.
Feeling sneaky :evil: :twisted: :evil: