1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gliclazide

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by Gill63, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Gill63

Gill63 · Member

GP wanting to start me on Gliclazide. Advised that I will need to let DVLA and car insurance know due to risk of hypos. Does car insurance premiums go up.

2. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Might be worth posting in the DVLA bit?
    I didn't think you had to declare Glic to the DVLA unless you had already had an uncontrolled hypo?

3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, mine didn't. With regard to the DVLA I don't actually know with that medication. x

4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

For DVLA see the following
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

You do need to inform your insurance companies ( driving, hospital plan, or life assurance) since it will affect their risk and this may increase insurance premiums. However, most will not increase the premium. Not telling them may result in them not paying out if there is a claim and they find out after the event.

I am a T2D driver over 70 and I was able to renew my licence while taking Glic but they do check up on medical records or ask your doctor to confirm your statements. They will also expect to see a recent retinopathy review report and possibly an eye test. This was necessary for renewal as a pensioner but was not required while I was commuting to work.

So long as you don't need to renew you do not need to tell them except if advised by a doctor or had 2 or more hypos needing medical assistance such as a paramedic or A&E. Or you start insulin treatment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook